Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

done after 2 retinal detachment surgeries did not fix the problem

Customer Question

what can be done after 2 retinal detachment surgeries did not fix the problem
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Is your retina detached at the moment? How much vision do you have in the eye?

Customer:

nothing scar tissue formed after oil injection it tearing lose because of scar tissue

Dr. Rick :

It sounds like you are suffering from a condition called PVR. This is when tissue attaches to your retina after retina surgery and starts to pull the retina off again. I must admit, as a retina specialist myself, this is one of the most feared complications of complicated retinal surgery/oil placement.

Dr. Rick :

The only thing that can be done is further surgery to remove as much of the PVR as possible, seal any holes/tears and attempt to re-attach the retina. This often requires the placement of silicone oil again.

Dr. Rick :

I would not give up hope yet......it may still be possible to salvage some useful vision. If you do noting and let the retina stay detached you will go "lights out" blind in that eye.

Dr. Rick :

I see you are in the chat room. Does this make sense to you?

Customer:

yes i will ask my doctor to see if he wants to do another surgery. he told me that he doesn't think i am going to regain my vision . what do you think?

Dr. Rick :

I must agree. Most likely your macula ( the central part of your retina) has been damaged. Due to this all you can hope for is to keep the vision you have and keep from going totally blind or, possibly, loosing the eyeball all together.

Dr. Rick :

I'm sorry that I don't have good news....but I think the truth is better then false hope.

Dr. Rick :

Even with all that I have said I still feel that you should have the retina repaired again.

Dr. Rick :

Is there anything else you would like to ask me today?

Dr. Rick :

I guess you have stepped away from your computer.

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the YES button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
I wish you the best of luck during these difficult times. If you have a chance drop me a note and let me know how things turn out.

Have a good evening.