Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

my 24 yr old daughter has extremely blood shot eyes.. Her eyes are very large. The problem

my 24 yr old daughter has extremely blood shot eyes.. Her eyes are very large. The problem started when she wore contacts age 16. I thought allergy to the solutions? Age 18 lasik surgery no more contacts. In time the large veins should go away.. No they have stayed. Everyone seems to judge her as being stoned or drunk Not the case but her eyes seem to glow bright red especially under artificial lights. At work in stores ect.She can get pulled over by the police for what ever reason or be with someone & she is given a sobriety test. She is very embarrassed NOTHING works to take the redness away it is very prominent on the outside of her left eye HUGE veins. If she gets cold stressed upset anything they glow. Can you do a spider vein procedure ? That is what the look like is spider veins. Her employers look at her funny & ask what is wrong with your eyes Help PS She doesn't smoke

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Yes. There are physicians who offer surgery to make your eyes "look whiter." Here is a link to one of the docs who do this procedure:

Dr. Rick :

Dr. Rick :

It is also possible, and I can't really know without examining your daughter, that she has a pinguecula. If this is the case it can be surgically removed, however some redness if usually still present. Here is information on a pinguecula and its cousin, the pterygium:

Dr. Rick :

A pinguecula is a change in the skin around the eye (conjunctiva) from a lifetime's worth of exposure to sunlight. It is not a cancer. It also can become irritated and red at times.

Here is a link to a picture of a small pinguecula. You can find many other pictures by going to Google images:

This is link to a picture of a pterygium. As you can see one of the major differences between a pterygium and a pinguecula is that a pterygium grows across the clear part of your eye (cornea):

If you are bothered by your pinguecula it can be surgically removed fairly easily by your ophthalmologist using local anesthesia. One word of caution however.....they have the nasty habit of growing back, sometimes with a vengeance.

Dr. Rick :

"get the red out" drops such as Visine etc should be avoided as, while they will make your daughters eyes whiter for a few minutes, the redness usually comes back even worse after the drops wear off.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you

Dr. Rick :

I hope I have covered your question. My system shows that you are in the chat room but I am unable to see what you are typing.

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the YES button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick :

We seem to be having problems with the chat system today. I'll switch to Q&A and we can continue to work on your question there.

Let me know if there are there any other concerns or issues you would like to discuss on this topic. I am still here and available to discuss this issue in more detail should you so desire. Let me know.....
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Dr rick I type slow sorry this is dee the picture of pinguecula looks like the red spider veins that I described but she does not have the yellow looking lumps..Spider veins are treated with saline solution to get rid of them would it be possible to do the same to her eyes??
My daughter had a modeling contract in NY ....Check her out on youtube ..Vlad Yopalov music video called Satisfied We need to fix her eyes she lost alot of jobs because she looks stoned cold air also makes the pop
I see you have read my posts and are still online. Do you have any other questions or concerns that I can help you with?

No that treatment will not work for the eyes....different types of vessels....

That doc I gave you the link to can make her eyes white for her concerts but, as you can see from his webpage, there are risks.
In the video her eyes look pretty white.......
I trained in NYC....been to most all the places in her music video. Did they do any sort of treatments during the filming to whiten her eyes? If so, chronic use of "get the red out" eye drops can cause her eyes to be, baseline, very red. This would resolve when the drops were no longer used.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The eye whitening we have looked at There is a place in Korea of all places where the Dr there has lectured over here I do not remember his name (Yes they Look good there but that not always the case. She has the ones on the left outside & smaller ones on the right side some times they dont look to bad other times like florressanct lights they look crazy its like they fill up with more blood or something. She doesnt have high blood pressure by the way... people cashiers in srores strangers ect ask her what is wrong with your eyes I realize its not a seavere case but her eyes are very noticeable. Can you have pinguecula & not have the bumps? I'm sorry that I go on I am just trying to understand so we can fix it Answer this & I will be finnished ok Which by the way I apperiecate your time thank you DEE
Yes, it is possible to have early pinguecula without the small yellow bumps. There are many variations in how pinguecula look.

That doc I gave you the link to I believe is in California....a lot closer to NYC the Korea :o)

It is my pleasure to help you and your daughter. No apologies necessary. I enjoyed her video and wish your daughter the best of luck.

Have a good day.