Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I originally got progressive lenses about on 3/4/09. I had

I originally got progressive lenses about on 3/4/09. I had almost no adjustment time to these lenses. They aren't perfect but I have no eye issues with them. The exam was the newer style of exam with more computerization.
(R) -1.25 Sph. -175 Cyl. 100 Axis
(L)-275 Sph. -150 Cyl. 67 Axis
Reading addition (R) +100 (L) +100

7/5/11 I received new prescription
(R) -1.50 Sph. -2.00 Cyl. 105 Axis
(L) -2.75 Sph. -1.50 Cyl. 070 Axis
Reading addition +1.75
I got high quality Zeiss lenses which were made wrong the first time and just were never right the second time and just made me feel weird, difficulty dealing with inside places like department stores, head swimming. I couldn't justify the cost of the Zeiss lenses and returned. I also have single vision sunglass with same prescription that seem to work fine, with maybe just the slightest strain in left eye.

Next pair I had Costco make on the above prescription using their high index lens. It had the same effect, no possible way to get used to them.
So I had an eye exam at Costco and this is what they came up with on 9/12/11
(R) -1.50 Sph. -1.75 Cyl. 100 Axis
(L) -2.50 Sph. -1.25 Cyl. 060 Axis
Reading addition +1.50
New glass still terrible same unable to deal with effects. Put on old glasses, no problem

Returned glasses and rechecked prescription 9/26/11. Pupil distance was off a bit and this was the new prescription.
(R) -1.50 Sph. -1.75 Cyl. 100 Axis
(L) -2.75 Sph. -1.25 Cyl. 060 Axis
Reading addition +1.50

The vision with these is much better, however I still get disorientation when inside "busy" building like stores, especially if florescent Or HID lit. When I look mid distance, things are never perfectly clear. It feels as if my left eye is being pulled towards the corner of my eye and text seems just too clear, almost like there is a slight offset in the text that is smeared, very hard to explain.

If this was my first pair of progressives I would feel as if I just wasn't giving them enough time, but I never had an issue at all with my first pair and I can go back to them now with no problem
I'm going nuts!! Any idea what is causing my issue?

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Customer:

excellent

Dr. Rick :

Let me take a moment to read your post in detail.

Customer:

No prob

Dr. Rick :

Well, first of all the slight variation in the prescriptions you listed are within the margin of error, or you could better say the margin of variation, notable between different exams.

Customer:

even on the cylinder huh?

Dr. Rick :

yes, even on the cylinder and the axis of the cylinder.

Customer:

in the scrip from costco the doc did check the polycarbonate box, I have high index, could that have something to do with it?

Dr. Rick :

Also, with your Rx a slight offset in your pupil position, say a millimeter or two, wouldn't be expected to cause all the problems you are having. When you say that the problem glasses are not your first set of progressive bifocals can you tell me how your previous progressive lenses worked for you? Were you happy with them?

Customer:

The old glasses are the exact same frame and lens material as the new glasses. When I got the old ones, I put them on, noticed the differences and they were fine pretty much right away.

Customer:

I do also have a new set that is a different frame

Customer:

shorter in height but both do the same thing

Dr. Rick :

That is possible, but not likely. The high index plastic just means that the physical thickness of the lens for any given strength of glasses would be less. It might, just might, somehow change the parameters of the progressive lens, but I wouldn't think so.

Dr. Rick :

Now, that is something that could lead to your problems. The placement of progressive lenses in your frame and on your face is CRITICAL. Slight variations can cause all sorts of problems.

Customer:

Yeah I've tried different things. So frustrating.. Well maybe they keep making them wrong

Customer:

Time to take advantage of the Costco return policy I guess.

Dr. Rick :

That is possible. I agree with your plan -- take

Dr. Rick :

'em back. And you might want to go to an ophthalmologist who has her own optical shop for your next pair. You will, most likely, get better service and expertise there.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Customer:

Yeah it makes sense, I was hoping for the "Oh yeah, that prescription is totally wrong" answer

Dr. Rick :

I can understand your frustration, especially when you are spending so money on glasses :(

Customer:

Anyway, you gave me a good answer, I'll accept

Customer:

Yeah the first were 500 bucks and not right

Dr. Rick :

Sorry.....only give out the truth here lol!

Customer:

Yeah, damn that truth!! Thanks Dr. Rick

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure. Have a good day.

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the YES button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Customer:

You too

Let me know if there are there any other concerns or issues you would like to discuss on this topic.