Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I noticed yesterday a very bloodshot right eye. i can see

I noticed yesterday a very bloodshot right eye. i can see just fine out of it and there is no pain, just as red as it can be. help. any info would be very appreciated. Thank you.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

It sounds like you have a subconjunctival hemorrhage.

Dr. Rick :

In the vast majority of cases, sub conjunctival hemorrhage is nothing to worry about. It is usually not a sign of any serious condition but rather is just a small broken blood vessel in the conjunctiva that looks much worse than it really is.

No treatment is necessary. Think of a subconjunctival hemorrhage as a bruise. The reason it looks so red (some people say it looks like a piece of raw meat) is that the skin on your eye is very thin so the underlying blood shows through easily. On your arm, for instance, a bruise looks blue/purple because the overlying skin is thick, blocking the red color of the blood.

Like a bruise elsewhere a subconjunctival hemorrhage will slowly go away over the course of a couple of weeks. It may spread around the globe some and change colors as it clears. This is nothing to be concerned about.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. Welcome to chat.

Dr. Rick :

I would stop using the visine drops as they will not help with this type of redness and will only irritate your eye. You can use tear replacement drops (refresh, natural tears, etc) as often as you like to soothe your eye if needed.

Dr. Rick :

Does your eye look something like this:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/82/Subconjunctival_hemorrhage_before_after.jpg

Dr. Rick :

Are you there?

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the YES button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick :

I guess that you have stepped away from your computer. We can use the Q&A system to 'text message' each other. An email will be sent to each of us every time something is posted to this thread.

Let me know if there are there any other concerns or issues you would like to discuss on this topic.
My system shows that you have reviewed my responses. We have been having problems with the chat system today and that may be why I couldn't see what you typed.

Is there anything you would like to ask me or something you would like explained in more depth? Let me know......