Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

Hi- the eye flashes I am experiencing occur intermittently

Customer Question

Hi- the eye flashes I am experiencing occur intermittently at the outer perameter of my left eye without pain or headache. They appear as short rapid short vertical lines. On the first day it was as if there was a white laser light doodling. As I stated they have become multiple short vertical streaks. This has be occuring for the last five days.Hoping for some advice. Thank you.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Welcome to chat

Dr. Rick :

You are likely experiencing a PVD or posterior vitreous detachment, a common event that happens in many people.

You have a thick gel material in the middle of your eyes called the vitreous. Over time as it liquefies, this gel material collapses on itself, forms little clumps that you can see as dots, lines or bugs. As these clumps form the vitreous pulls away from the wall of the eye. In the process it can stimulate the retina -- causing the flashes that you may see.

It is recommended that you see your ophthalmologist to look at the retina to make sure there are no problems such as a retinal hole or tear. In most cases, there are no problems, but this exam is precautionary and allows for preventative treatment of any lesions that are found.

If you notice a sudden increase in floaters, flashes of light (like a lightning storm), or a shadow/veil in the periphery of your vision, this can be worrisome for a retinal detachment. You would need to contact your ophthalmologist promptly in that case.

Dr. Rick :

Are you available to chat?

Dr. Rick :

The flashes of light mean that your retina is being pulled on by the vitreous. As long as you don't have any of the symptoms of retinal involvement there is no need to seek emergency eye care.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

I guess you have stepped away from your computer. We can use the Q&A system to 'text message' each other. An email will be sent to each of us every time something is posted to this thread.

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the YES button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
Let me know if there are there any other concerns or issues you would like to discuss on this topic.
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you Dr. Rick---One thing I forgot to mention is that I am a Type II diabetic.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
Ok. I would suggest that you get in for a complete eye exam in the next week or two and at that time your ophthalmologist can check on the retina and for any changes in your eyes that might be due to your diabetes.

Of course, if things get worse, you have any of those "worry" symptoms noted above or you are just concerned, have your eyes examined sooner. As they say "An ophthalmologist visit in time saves nine..." ;o)