Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

spiders with transparent bodies and dark bown legs which tangle

Hi - I know what 'floaters' are - have always had them. But for a week or so I've noticed a particular and regular formation on waking and less so on going to sleep. It looks for all the world like a cluster of spiders with transparent bodies and dark bown legs which tangle whilst they move. Occasionally, one will separate and move independently of the others. Could be be a retinal problem, or worse, parasitical?

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Very unlikely that this is caused by a parasite. There would be other ocular symptoms in the vast majority of cases if this was true.

Dr. Rick :

Also, retina problems, while they can be associated with new-onset floaters, tend to present as a curtain coming across your vision from any direction, a "fire storm" of flashes, or loss of vision. From what you are telling me I don't think you have anything to worry about on these accounts.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Customer:

Thamks - I've had continual ear infections and wondered if connected? Need surgery for cist.

Dr. Rick :

Good afternoon and welcome to chat.

Dr. Rick :

No. No relationship between this eye issue and ears....

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure.

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the YES button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick :

Is there anything else you would like to ask me today?

Customer:

OK - since they were new and moving unlike floaters it seemed odd. I've noticed various blogs that are connected with same

Customer:

PS they tend to the more hysterical...

Dr. Rick :

Your description sounds like floaters. Since it is new it is possible that there has been some bleeding inside your eye or you are having some inflammation.

Customer:

OK - well I think it's a visit for an eye exam - thanks and goodbye