Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

My eyelid is twitching randomly, is it caffeine or should I

My eyelid is twitching randomly, is it caffeine or should I have a doctor look at it?

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

What you are describing is called myokymia.

Dr. Rick :

Myokymia is an involuntary, local twitching of a few muscle fibers in the body of a muscle. This twitching, if it occurs in a limb, is not strong enough to actually move a joint but can be felt and sometimes seen as an area of quivering.

Myokymia commonly involves the eyelids and muscles around the orbit. It often appears and resolves for no apparent reason and has not been linked to any underlying significant pathology. What causes myokymia? Studies have shown that it is associated with anxiety, stress, lack of good sleep, high caffeine intake and the use of some drugs.

The best way to treat myokymia is to get more sleep, decrease caffeine intake and decrease stress. The good news is that myokymia is not a sign of serious underlying pathology and often resolves on its own.

Customer:

Thank you very much. will cut down on my caffeine intake

Dr. Rick :

And, yes, decreasing your caffeine intake can make it better. There, really, is no need to go to a doctor (other then the Wonderful Experts at JustAnswer :o) for this issue.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Customer:

Yes, very much. all of the explanations fit into my life. Appreciate it.

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure. Have a good day.