Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I have a white small swollen type of spot on my eye which

Customer Question

I have a white small swollen type of spot on my eye which i thought was a wart a few years back but have been told its a blocked gland. How would I be able to rid this problem. I am an MS sufferer.and thought this could br the cause.thanks Ed
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

I don't believe that this is directly related to your MS. Is this white spot on your actual eyeball itself or on your eyelid?

Dr. Rick :

I see that you are offline. We can use the Q&A system to 'text message' each other. An email will be sent to each of us every time something is posted to this thread.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
I am still here and looking forward to your response so we can continue to work on your question.
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
Hi. You accepted a little bit too soon :)

I still owe you an excellent answer. Did you see my question above?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
the spot is above my eyelid
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
Ok. Thanks for that information.

The most common cause for swelling or bump on the eyelid is a chalazion or a stye. These bumps form when a gland in your eyelid gets plugged up and possibly infected. It is very often associated with a condition called blepharitis.

The treatment for this condition, however, is not antibiotics but rather cleaning the eyelids with baby shampoo. Buy some unscented baby shampoo and, in the shower, put the shampoo on your index fingers. Close your eyes, and raise your eyelids (to get skin out of the way) and scrub back and forth along your EYELASH margin. This is where the gland openings are located. The warm water will soften the gunk in the plugged glands, the friction and pressure of your fingers will massage the glands, forcing the gunk out and the shampoo will wash it away. You can also use warm compress to the affected lids during the day as your schedule allows.

This treatment will help to treat the bump on your eyelid while at the same time solving your underlying blepharitis. The lump may take many weeks to go away but you should notice some improvement in a few days or so.

Does this make sense to you?

I'm still here.....I don't go up in a puff of smoke when you hit the accept button ;o)
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
.