Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

My Husband is loosing his eyesight. He has been diagnosed with either micrscatoma or occu

My Husband is loosing his eyesight. He has been diagnosed with either micrscatoma or occult macular degeneration. The dr's say there is nothing they can do for him. I keep trying though. I have recently contacted another dr out of our area. He is only 42 and a father of 2 young boys 6 and 4. I was wondering if you could help in any way. My e-mail isXXX@XXXXXX.XXX or XXX-XXX-XXXX
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

We are unable to use email addresses to communicate....all I received was a bunch of X

Dr. Rick :

's. But, never fear, we can use this chat system to work on your answer.

Dr. Rick :

Has your husband been examined by a retina specialist? What medical problems does he have and what medicines does he take?

Dr. Rick :

I see that you are offline. We can use the Q&A system to 'text message' each other. An email will be sent to each of us every time something is posted to this thread.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
I am still here and looking forward to your response to my inquiries so that we can continue to work on your husband's difficulties.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
he has seen a 3 retinal specialst, specializing in different fields, he has also seen a neuro opthamologist. Other than high cholesterol his health is fine. He was taking meds for that. He is also taking meds for anxiety. I would have to get back to you on what the names are. I do know one is generic for prozac.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'm sorry I did not get back to you right away but I am working and can only check my messages periodically throughout the day.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
that is OK.....I've got it.

It sounds like he has had excellent care so far. I'm afraid that the doctors are correct in your husbands case; without having a treatable diagnosis, and I'm sure they have ruled out almost all of the conditions that can cause his scotoma, there is nothing that can be done.

As you know, the retina is much like the brain in that, once damaged, the photoreceptors and nerves do not grow back.

One thing you might try, however, is to consult with a large University Teaching Program were cutting edge retina research is being conduced.

If you could tell me where you live and how far you could travel I would be happy to give you the name of some of the programs that are doing research/treatment in these areas.

I'm standing by for your response.

Don't worry, we can squeeze our conversation in between your working schedule. I'm in the office right now and completely understand :)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
We live in Somerset, MA. We would be willing to travel pretty much anywhere if it meant there was a chance of helping him. Either to just stop it where it is now or best casse senerio make it better. My break is over so I must go for now. I will be checking later. Thank you so much foryour time.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
My pleasure.

Well, I would recommend seeing the folks in the Retina Service at Will Eye Hospital, in Philadelphia, PA.

If you could arrange for all your husbands medical records, results of his tests and where possible, the actual tests themselves (computer disks of his angiograms, MRI's etc) to be sent to the doctor(s) who will be examining him a few weeks prior to your visit, that would be very helpful. It would also be a good idea to obtain a second copy for yourself and hand carry those records with you on the day of your visit just in case something delays the mailed records.

XXXXX XXXXX, MD is the Chief of the Retina service and has written many of the textbooks us retina doctors rely on relating to macular disease. He is very highly respected in the Retina community. Here is a link to his web page with information on how to contact him:

http://www.wills eye.org/patients/drview16ca.html?drid=142

While you are at Will's your husband will be evaluated not only by Dr.Brown but by a team of doctors all bringing with them knowledge from their own sub-specialty. I really think you can expect to receive some of the best retina care available anywhere in the would while you are in Philadelphia.

Does this make sense to you?

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)
I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the YES button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

If you have the time I would be very interested to learn how thing work out with your husband. You can post a note to me at no additional charge on this or a new thread. I wish the two of you the best of luck. Take care.

Let me know if there are there any other concerns or issues you would like to discuss on this topic.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank You. XXXXX accept will I still be able to converse with you if I have any further questions for you. If so how do I reach you. I'm not that great with computers.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
Yes. You sure can. Just continue to post to this tread. The good news? When you accept my answer I don't go up in a puff of smoke lol!
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
lol thank you so much. I will keep you informed. Also did you get my message in regards XXXXX XXXXX Dr's and the supplement Xanthalin.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.

No. I didn't get that message. Xanthalin supplements have not been studied well enough in double blind studies to know how much, if any, help they are in retinal conditions. On the other side of coin, as long as they are reasonably priced it probably won't hurt anything to take it.

I look forward to hearing how things go. Have a good evening.