Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

I believe my elderly aunt has floppy eyelid syndrome. When

I believe my elderly aunt has floppy eyelid syndrome. When she sleeps on her right side her eyelid will flip inside out. I tried using different tapes from the pharmacy but they irritate her skin. Is there anything you can recommend to help me keep her eyelid down? It is red & irritated. I was using artificial tears & now eye wash. I can call her Dr. in the morning, but would like to know tonight what kind of things can treat this. She is bed-ridden. Not sleeping on her right side isn't an option she needs to be turned every few hours, but she has this eyelid thing going on.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

We seem to be having problems with the chat system today. I'll switch to Q&A and we can continue to work on your question there.
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I didn't mean to accept this, I was waiting for your response.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
The best thing you can do for her tonight is to "goop up" her eye with a large amount of ointment. There are a number of brand names available, such as Refresh PM, lacrilube etc....they are all about the same so purchase the least expensive one :)

Since the tape is not a viable option anymore purchase an eye shield (looks like a pirate patch, many times made out of plastic with small holes in it) and put that over her eye using either the provided elastic band or an ace bandage.

This most effective treatment for this condition is surgical. Most ophthalmologists can do this type of surgery and all oculoplastic surgeons offer this service.

Since she is bedridden I can understand that going to an eye doctor for outpatient surgery may be very difficult. Another option would be to sew her eyelid partially closed using a proline suture over rubber bolsters. This can be painlessly reversed if desired and has the benefit of being easy to do at her bedside.

Does this make sense to you?

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)
I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the YES button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Let me know if there are there any other concerns or issues you would like to discuss on this topic.

I don't mind if you accept in the middle of my answer :o)

The good news? I don't go up in a puff of smoke when you hit the accept button....I'm still here and available if you would like to discuss this issue further.

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Those eye ointments are OTC to put in the eye itself?
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
Yes. That is correct. They are available at all pharmacies, wal-mart, grocery stores etc.