Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

I have been diagnosed with Posterior Vitreous Detachment. I

I have been diagnosed with Posterior Vitreous Detachment.
I am a 60 yr old female.
What precautions do you reccommend & what are the odds of a Retinal Detachment?
Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today. Our chat system seems to be down today but we can use this system to answer your question.

Here is some information on a PVD:

You have a thick gel material in the middle of your eyes called the vitreous. Over time as it liquefies, this gel material collapses on itself, forms little clumps that you can see as dots, lines or bugs. As these clumps form the vitreous pulls away from the wall of the eye. In the process it can stimulate the retina -- causing the flashes that you may see.

It is recommended that you see your ophthalmologist to look at the retina to make sure there are no problems such as a retinal hole or tear. In most cases, there are no problems, but this exam is precautionary and allows for preventative treatment of any lesions that are found.

If you notice a sudden increase in floaters, flashes of light (like a lightning storm), or a shadow/veil in the periphery of your vision, this can be worrisome for a retinal detachment. You would need to contact your ophthalmologist promptly in that case.
The risks of a retinal detachment with a PVD are fairly low. Findings that are suggestive of a higher risk of retinal involvement are bleeding inside the eye (vitreous hemorrhage), large amount of flashes of light, areas of vitreous/retinal traction noted on exam and, of course, any signs of a retinal hole or tear.

As long as you are being followed by an ophthalmologist and promptly report any of the worrisome signs noted above your chances of having a vision threatening retinal detachment are, I would say, on the order of one in 500 or so.

There are really no precautions that you need to take at this point other then to be aware of changes in your vision etc.

Does this make sense to you?

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)
I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the YES button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Let me know if there are there any other concerns or issues you would like to discuss on this topic.