Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

When I wake up in the morning, or after a short nap, I have

Customer Question

When I wake up in the morning, or after a short nap, I have recently had a black hole in the vision of one eye.This soon goes away, although the vision is not as bright as in the other eye.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.
Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today. We are having problems with the chat system today but we can use this system to work on your issue.

When you have this occur, have you noticed if you can read out of the affected eye? Does it seem like you have problems seeing the words in the center? Also, is the vision normal in the other eye when this is going on?

Do you take any medicines or have any medical problems?
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.
Oops! You hit the Accept button a little too fast! We've just begun working on your question. Did you see my inquiries above?

Let's work on your question now if you have the time....I am here and won't leave until you get a good answer outta me :o)
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.
Are you still there?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
expert asked a question. My answer is: condition fades away in less than a minute. Can read after it does so but light seems dim. Other eye is normal.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.
It sounds like what you are suffering from is something called Amaurosis fugax (AF).

Amaurosis fugax is the transient loss of vision in one eye. It has many causes and, in the early 1990's, a study called the Amaurosis Fugax Study Group defined and grouped them to help with diagnosis and treatment of this problem.

What can cause AF? It can be due to an embolism, problems with the blood, problems with the eye itself or, sometimes due to no cause we can figure out (idiopathic). I would be happy to go through all the different diagnostic possibilities in each of these categories but I don't think that is the best use of your time.....you need to know what to do.

AF is a symptom that something serious is wrong. It can be a warning that you are heading toward a dangerous vascular event such as a TIA, stroke or even death. It is important for you to see your ophthalmologist and possibly your internal medicine physician ASAP. What will they do? A complete history and physical, a complete eye examination, maybe a fluorescein angiogram of your retina, laboratory tests, possibly ultrasound of your carotid arteries or an CT/MRI of your head.

Treatment depends on what is found on the above workup.

I can not stress enough the need for you to be seen for a complete exam as soon as possible.

Does this make sense to you?