Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

Is there any treatment for a scratched retina

Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today. Our chat system is having problems this morning but we can use this system to work on your question.

It would be almost impossible to scratch your retina....so I think you are talking about a scratched cornea. The cornea is the clear, front, part of your eyeball.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
My retina doctor said my retina is scratched after surgery
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
Ok. Thanks for that information....

What type of surgery did you have and how did your retina get scratched? I am a retina specialist and you have got me very interested now :o)
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
Are you still there?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
First I had a membrane peel. Then they said I had a detached retina and performed a vitrectomy. Now he said I have a scratched retina. He did not say how it became scratched.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Is three anyway to correct this?
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
Ok. It is possible that a part of the retina was touched by a tip of one of the surgical instruments. The unit used in the membrane peel has a very soft tip and should have been safe.

If you are having significant visual problems from this "scratch" then it is likely that the central part of your retina, called the macula, was involved.

Unfortunately, other then giving the retina time to heal on it's own, there is nothing to do to help the process. If the area that was scratched was not damaged much (a very superficial touch) and most of your difficulty at the moment is due to swelling and not actual destruction of retinal tissue you should notice some improvement over the course of a month or so.

I'm sorry to hear that you have experienced so much difficulty after your membrane peel. :(

Does this make sense to you?

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)
I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the YES button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Let me know if there are there any other concerns or issues you would like to discuss on this topic.

I will standby should you have further questions or comments.....
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest