Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I lost vision in my left eye over 6 weeks ago due to bleeding

I lost vision in my left eye over 6 weeks ago due to bleeding inside the eye. Most of the blood blocking my vision has cleared up but the remains are still lingering on. Is there something I can do or take to safely speed up this clearing process? I am still legally blind in my left eye even though it was getting better for a while.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Unfortunately there is nothing that you can do, nothing that you can take and no special diet you can eat that will help the blood inside your eye to absorb faster. Along these lines I would suggest that you stop using the palmed vibrator on your eye. This will not help the blood to go away and it runs the risk of dislodging the clot that has stopped the flow out of the blood vessel that initially leaked thus causing another bleeding episode and making things worse.

Dr. Rick :

Once the blood has cleared enough your ophthalmologist should be able to examine your retina well enough to make sure that there are no holes, tears or leaking blood vessels that require laser treatment. She will also be able to see your retina well enough to rule out a detachment. If she can't see the retina through the blood and is concerned about a retinal detachment she can do an ultrasound of your eye.

Dr. Rick :

Try to be patient. A vitreous hemorrhage can take a while to clear up. However, if your retina, more specifically your macula, is OK once the blood has reabsorbed you should be fine.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you>

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the YES button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick :

I see that you are offline. We can use the Q&A system to 'text message' each other. An email will be sent to each of us every time something is posted to this thread.

Let me know if there are there any other concerns or issues you would like to discuss on this topic.