Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

What causes double vision when watching a performer on a stage

What causes double vision when watching a performer on a stage in an auditorium. The spotlight is on the performer and the background is dark. This occurs with contacts on and with glasses on.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.
Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today. Our chat system seems to be down today but we can use this system to work on your question.

It is possible that you have an phoria that under these specific light conditions "breaks down" into an tropia. What does that all mean? It means that you have the tendency to have double vision but almost all the time your brain is able to overcome this tendency and give you singe vision. However, when you are in the "eye stressful" situation of watching a live play your brain is unable to keep the images from your two eyes fused and, waala, double vision.

This normally isn't anything to be worried about. However, since my only diagnostic "tool" right now is my computer I think that it wouldn't hurt for you to have a complete eye examination by an ophthalmologist in the near future.

Does this make sense to you?

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)
I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the YES button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Let me know if there are there any other concerns or issues you would like to discuss on this topic.