Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

Hi! 2 days ago I got a cut on the white part of my eyeball,

Customer Question

Hi! 2 days ago I got a cut on the white part of my eyeball, an accident someone with a baseball cap leaned in to talk to me and his visor cut my eye, the abrasion was below my cornea on the white part of my eye. However it is 2 days later and seems the abrasion is travelling? up to the brown ( my eyes are brown) part of my eye? Can abrasions travel and is this serious? ahhh! thank you for your help! Brooke
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 2 years ago.

Doctor DanB : Hello and thanks for your question. Are you available to chat?
Customer:

yes!

Doctor DanB : What makes you think the abrasion has traveled to the cornea?
Customer:

well when it first cut my eye it was at the bottom part of my eye, the white part below the bottom eyelid, now it is very close to the brown part of my eye, 2 days later

Customer:

it appears to be travelling

Customer:

it is much higher than yesterday? is this possible? for a cut to travel in the eyeball?

Customer:

Or am i just imagining things? :)

Doctor DanB : It would not be impossible for an abrasion to get bigger over time especially if there were further trauma to the eye, but it would be quite unusual. It can be a difficult thing to see an abrasion on the eye without a microscope and a special dye. Are you seeing a fold of skin (conjunctiva) that is loose near the cornea?
Customer:

no it is a big red line

Customer:

a cut on the white part of my eyeball

Customer:

can an abrasion travel?

Doctor DanB : What you may be seeing is a blood vessel. Of course I can't say that for sure because I can't examine your eye but usually abrasions don't take this look. Is your eye feeling any worse or is the vision worse?
Customer:

do you have video skype?

Customer:

oh yes it is probably a blood vessel

Customer:

no my eye is not feeling worse

Customer:

on the vision is not worse

Customer:

I mean no

Customer:

:)

Customer:

or a camera on your computer?

Customer:

but it looks like a cut?

Customer:

a deep red line?

Doctor DanB : I think if the eye begins to feel worse or the vision gets worse then I would seek out the opinion of your doctor but if not I bet this will just get better and go away.
Customer:

ok so the white part of your eye, the eyeball if it is cut, the cut would not travel, it's not possible?

Customer:

and the cut would not look like a deep red line, that would be a blood vessel then?

Doctor DanB : If it's a very deep live it is possible this is an abrasion. I never say never in medicine but to see an abrasion travel is almost unheard of. To see an abrasion get bigger is not unheard of if there is further trauma.
Customer:

oh yeah no further trauma

Doctor DanB : I think this is a blood vessel. A cut on the conjunctiva would appear as a flap of skin or a gaping wound perhaps.
Customer:

ok then i think it's ok, it just weird that it was on the bottom part of my eye, now it is around the brown part of my eye, 2 days later, maybe a blood vessel popped up there today then right?

Customer:

oh no gaping would

Customer:

:)

Customer:

wound I mean!

Customer:

ha!

Doctor DanB : That's what I think.
Customer:

ok thank you very much Doctor! I was starting to panic a little!

Doctor DanB : Do you have any other concerns about this that we haven't addressed?
Customer:

no I think I am good now!

Doctor DanB : Great. Good luck. Please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter; this allows part of the funds that you have deposited to the website to be released for my efforts to assist you. This does not end our conversation, however-we can continue to discuss any of your concerns without further charges until you are satisfied. Any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. Thanks for your inquiry! My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor.
Customer:

ok definitely! thank you very much Doctor DanB!!!

Experience: Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology