Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

DrStan I had a macular hole repaired a year ago.You answered

Customer Question

DrStan

I had a macular hole repaired a year ago.You answered my questions.I hope you can help me again.The repair was successful but my vision is stable but not much improoved Is there anything else I can do to improove my sight? I also caught a terrible eye infection at my eye clinic.Ihave been treating both eyes with drops for a year and the infiltrates are gone from my good eye finally.I now however have the same symptoms in this good eye as i had in my bad eye I see waves in lines and the middle of words are distorted if Ifocus on them Last week my surgeon said the is pulling away but I do not have a hole yet .He will monitor it in three months but he can not do surgery until the hole appears,Is there any treatment I can have to prevent losing the sight in this eye ?The bad eye is leagally blind Thank you for your advice.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Dr. Stan is not online at the moment. I am a retina doc and would be happy to answer your question. If you would like to wait for him just let me know and I will "opt out" so you can standby. If you need your question answered before Dr. Stan is available you can drop me a note on this thread, I can "opt back in" and we can go from there. Let me know what would work best for you.

Customer:

Dr Rick

Customer:

Yes I would value your opinion Pat

Dr. Rick :

Ok. I'll be happy to assist you.

Dr. Rick :

If you had anatomically "successful" macular hole surgery and your vision is still not that great in your eye this can be due to a number of reasons. The most common would be that, while the hole is closed, the photoreceptors (cones and rods) were damaged so much that they died. No photoreceptors, no vision, and you are stuck with a central blind spot. Hopefully that spot is smaller then it would have been without the surgery but sometimes it is hard to tell.

Dr. Rick :

In these cases no further surgery is indicated as nothing can be done to replace photoreceptors after they have been lost.

Dr. Rick :

As to your good eye that is now having symptoms. I am glad to hear that you got in for a complete eye examination by your retina surgeon right away and that there is no evidence of a hole forming at this time. The good news? Just because you have had a retinal hole in one eye and and are now having symptoms of a vitreous separation with slight macular distortion does not mean that you are destined to have a hole in the macula of your good eye.

Dr. Rick :

However, if your retina doc can see evidence of vitreous traction on your macula with an impending hole he can do surgery to remove this traction, of course with some risk (no surgery is risk free :o), and hopefully get rid of the macular wrinkling/pucker etc. before a hole occurs. Sometimes it is better to just watch and wait rather then rush to surgery with all its attendant risks and possible complications.

Dr. Rick :

Unfortunately, other then what you have already done by making sure you are receiving expert eye care, there is nothing you can personally do to significantly impact the course of your eye issue.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the YES button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick :

I see that you are offline. We can use the Q&A system to 'text message' each other. An email will be sent to each of us every time something is posted to this thread.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
Let me know if there are there any other concerns or issues you would like to discuss on this topic.
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
answer my question Ijust replied that it was ok for Dr Rick to answer instead of Dr Stan but he did not reply.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
I did reply. For some reason you must not have been able to see my post. We have been having problems with the chat system lately....sorry about that. I've copied my post here for your review. Please let me know if there are any problems again:

Dr. Rick : Dr. Stan is not online at the moment. I am a retina doc and would be happy to answer your question. If you would like to wait for him just let me know and I will "opt out" so you can standby. If you need your question answered before Dr. Stan is available you can drop me a note on this thread, I can "opt back in" and we can go from there. Let me know what would work best for you.
Customer : Dr Rick
Customer : Yes I would value your opinion Pat
Dr. Rick : Ok. I'll be happy to assist you.
Dr. Rick : If you had anatomically "successful" macular hole surgery and your vision is still not that great in your eye this can be due to a number of reasons. The most common would be that, while the hole is closed, the photoreceptors (cones and rods) were damaged so much that they died. No photoreceptors, no vision, and you are stuck with a central blind spot. Hopefully that spot is smaller then it would have been without the surgery but sometimes it is hard to tell.
Dr. Rick : In these cases no further surgery is indicated as nothing can be done to replace photoreceptors after they have been lost.
Dr. Rick : As to your good eye that is now having symptoms. I am glad to hear that you got in for a complete eye examination by your retina surgeon right away and that there is no evidence of a hole forming at this time. The good news? Just because you have had a retinal hole in one eye and and are now having symptoms of a vitreous separation with slight macular distortion does not mean that you are destined to have a hole in the macula of your good eye.
Dr. Rick : However, if your retina doc can see evidence of vitreous traction on your macula with an impending hole he can do surgery to remove this traction, of course with some risk (no surgery is risk free :o), and hopefully get rid of the macular wrinkling/pucker etc. before a hole occurs. Sometimes it is better to just watch and wait rather then rush to surgery with all its attendant risks and possible complications.
Dr. Rick : Unfortunately, other then what you have already done by making sure you are receiving expert eye care, there is nothing you can personally do to significantly impact the course of your eye issue.
Dr. Rick : Does this make sense to you?
Dr. Rick : And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

Dr. Rick : I see that you are offline. We can use the Q&A system to 'text message' each other. An email will be sent to each of us every time something is posted to this thread.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
Sorry that you felt the need to give negative feedback. I have posted an answer to your question twice....I see you have not read the second post. Here it is again:

Customer : Dr Rick
Dr. Rick : Does this make sense to you?

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
My system shows that you have reviewed my post. I hope this is correct.

Do you have any other questions? Even though you have already paid and given feedback I am still here and available to assist you at no additional charge.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Dr Rick

Thank you fof your reply You were very helpful I now understand what is happening to my eyes. Even though it is difficult coping with this problem since my passion is fine embroidery it is much easier to cope when I understand what to expect.Your answeres were very clear. The information respected my ability to understand detailed scientific info.What bothered me most was when doctors (figeratively) pat me on the head and tell me everything is fine when I am bright enought to know it is not.Iam sorry I rated you low,I was verry frustrated because I was told you answered me but I did not receive the answere after three trys.I am not good with the computer Iam learning so it was my error Could tou change my rating to exellent I don't know how to do this.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
I don't think that the ratings can be changed after you have posted them. You might try sending a message to customer service and see what they say.

I'm sorry about the technical difficulties with the system. I'm glad you were finally able to view my response and found it helpful.

Take care and have a good evening.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
.