Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince

I put put Debrax, an ear wax removal, in my eye by mistake

I put put Debrax, an ear wax removal, in my eye by mistake Thought it was thera-tears
It is basically a peroxide base
It was irrated before, and now feels like hell
Have been flushing with thera-tears
What else should I do, if anything?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 5 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer

You are doing just right by flushing the eye with lubricating eye drops( thera tears). It is advisable that the should be flushes with copious amount (about a litre) clean potable water. Both these procedures will help to remove the irritant out of the eye and prevent any adverse effect. Peroxide content will at the most incite a mild chemical reaction to the eye . To summarise , do go ahead with the eye wash with water, continue liberally with the lubricating eye drops, as frequently as 1 drop every hour you can even apply lubricating eye ointment such as lacrilube at bedtime. If there is a lot of pain, you can try patching the eye too. With this treatment you should begin to feel better by 24 hours. In case of persistence of pain/redness in the eye1-2 days, do get the eye examined by an ophthalmologist for a closer look and for a possible start of antibiotic -steroid combination eye drops for a week( these are not needed otherwise).

I hope the above suggestion makes sense.

Please feel free to ask follow up questions, if any.

Thank you and best wishes.

If you are satisfied with the answer , please press the accept button so that I get my dues.

A bonus and/or positive feedback are welcome.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist