Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

Dr tested Macular fast makingh blood vessels fluid behind retina This is my first try for

Customer Question

Dr tested Macular fast makingh blood vessels fluid behind retina
This is my first try for an answer Thank you
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. R. Bora replied 5 years ago.
There are multiple forms of macular degeneration.. Most commonly people call them as wet and dry. In the dry form of macular degeneration there is a build up of waste product in the macular region that causes damage and a decrease in vision. In the "wet" form, there is a growth of new blood vessels in the region that has bursted causing there to be a separation of different layers of the macula. It can even happen overnight. With the wet form of the disease, it can progress quite quickly.

Common drugs used currently is anti VEGF injections that causes regression of the vessels. Common brand names include Lucentis and Avastin. With these injections there are a number of people that can get some improvement in their vision but there is no guarantee with this. But it is currently the most effective way to treat the wet form of macular degeneration.

I hope my answer is helpful to you.

If you would like to give credit for my answer, please press the GREEN ACCEPT BUTTON. Feedback and Bonus would be highly regarded.

With Regards,
Dr. Bora.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.
Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today. I am an ophthalmologist and a retina specialist.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.
I agree with Dr. R. Bora. If you do indeed have wet macular degeneration it is important that you see an ophthalmologist ASAP as every moment you delay can possibly cause more damage to your macula.

While some general ophthalmologists offer Avastin/Lucentis injections, all retina specialists provide this treatment.

Let me know if you have any further questions or if I can be of any further help..
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.
Dr. R. Bora,

I, for some reason, are unable to send you a PM so I am posting here.

You offered an excellent answer to the above question.

I must apologize for adding more information to this question thread. I should have used the "I agree" function instead. My mistake.