Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince

sclera..left eye..Im not using it and have relaxed my eyes..redness

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I want to know what I can do to have white sclera. The outside corner of my left eye is always red and now I've noticed that my right one too except not too noticeable. I'll be honest and say that I use my computer a lot but even when I'm not using it and have relaxed my eyes for an hour or so shouldn't the redness go away?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hello, Welcome to Just Answer

Sorry but it looks like the chat system is not working as well as it should. But we can continue here.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No problem.
Hello Sarah,

Thank you for the reply.

It looks like you are experiencing symptoms of dry eyes.

Dry eyes can occur from involvement of any of the 3 layers of the tear film. The tear film has 3 layers- aqueous, lipid and mucin. The most frquent layer to be affected is the aqueous layer. It is seen due to increased evapouration of tears ,as can be seen with excessive hours in front of the laptop/computer/television or long hours of continous reading or writing. It can also be precipitated by excessive exposure to air conditioning or even very hot and humid climate. The treatment is in the form of tear supplements such as over the counter preservative free Refresh tears eye drops , 1 drop 4 times a day for about a month.

Usually there can be severe burning sensation in the eyes, redness of the eyes( or the corner of the eyes), reflex watering from the eyes, eye fatigue etc. These are all clubbed under the symptoms of computer vision syndrome( for those who spend long hours in front of the computer). Treatment is in the form of lubricating eye drops and preventive measures such as - take a few seconds break and take your glance away from the computer, keep the eyes closed so as to help the tear film to reform.

Please feel free to ask follow up questions, if any.

Thank you and best wishes.

If you are satisfied with the answer , please press the accept button so that I get my dues.

A bonus and/or positive feedback are welcome.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist