Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

75 years old in need of cataract surgery..What power intraocular lens

i am 75 years old in need of cataract surgery. Developing slight astigmatism.

What power intraocular lens implants do you recommend?

REFRACTION: OD 8.00
OS 6.75

I spend a lot of time working on the computer. I am aware I may still need glasses.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 2 years ago.

Doctor DanB : Hello and thanks for your question. Are you available to chat?
Customer:

Yes.

Doctor DanB : Unfortunately the only way to determine what power of lens implant you need is to do measurements of several parts of the eye at your eye doctors office. Does that make sense?
Customer:

Makes sense. What parts of the eye?

Customer:

Per optometrist's exam

Customer:

per optometrist's exam - right cylinder 1.50 -

Customer:

axis is 060 - left eye it is cylinder 0.50 - axis is 085

Customer:

Information I am seeking is for general purposes only. Only need to learn what options may be available to me, so I can make an intelligent decision when discussing with the opthomologist, otherwise I will sit there like a dummy not knowing what choices I may have.

Doctor DanB : I'm sorry this chat feature has really been malfunctioning lately. The depth of the anterior chamber of the eye, the power and curvature of the cornea and the axial length of the eye are all measurements that need to be made in order to calculate the lens power.
Doctor DanB : Does that make sense? What other questions do you have?
Customer:

Wow. I don't have that info. I did not know there were that many measurements. I thought that I could get power for distance like with glasses/contact lenses. I was under the impression that these implants. It was suggested that I could receive one implant for near and the other for far. So now I am really confused.

Customer:

Is that advisable?

Customer:

If the measurements prove to be OK - which should I go for? I don't want to make the wrong decision.

Doctor DanB : One lens for near and one for far is called monovision. For people who have done this arrangement in contact lenses and who do well with it this can be a beneficial situation. However, it doesn't make everything clear at all distances but more importantly it messes with your depth perception, so most people can't tolerate this. What is your ideal goal or most important visual need after cataract surgery?
Customer:

To sit arms length from my monitor and see TV from 15 feet away

Doctor DanB : Most people choose to get a lens power such that they are as clear as possible for distance vision after surgery and then most put on glasses to read.
Customer:

One last question - what would be an approximate cost of lens inplant. I have no insurance.

Customer:

Sorry, I do have Medicare. So I guess I am OK. Still, I am curious.. what is approximate cost.

Doctor DanB : well the standard lens is paid for by medicare so you shouldn't have up worry about that, but if you wanted to upgrade to premium lenses it would cost at least $1500!extra per eye.
Customer:

Thank you. I now have some idea. What could I expect from a premium lens? I may consider it.

Customer:

Truly, that is the last question --

Doctor DanB :

A premium lens should provide you with some level of independence from glasses for near, intermediate, and distance vision, but it likely would not allow you to see everything without glasses. Many people have halos and glare around lights for several weeks to a few months and others never get rid of them and need the lenses out. So while some people love them, they are not universally well-liked and so for the cost, some people don't think they're worth it. Does that make sense?

Customer:

Thank you Dr Dan - Good bye. I am leaving you now.. Info was very helpful.

Doctor DanB :

You're welcome.

Please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter; this allows part of the funds that you have deposited to the website to be released for my efforts to assist you. This does not end our conversation, however—we can continue to discuss any of your concerns regarding this topic without further charges until you are satisfied.

Any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. Thanks for trusting me to help you with your concerns!

My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor.

Experience: Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology