Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

What is the implantation of tubes in the eye to assist with

Customer Question

What is the implantation of tubes in the eye to assist with the dranage of the occular fluid and what are the risks and long term prospects of this procedure
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 5 years ago.

Doctor DanB : Hello and thanks for your question. Are you available to chat?
JACUSTOMER-yrnhv81h- :

Yes

Doctor DanB : Have you had cataract surgery prior to this?
JACUSTOMER-yrnhv81h- :

yes

JACUSTOMER-yrnhv81h- :

Sorryi have not had cataract surgery

Doctor DanB :

A tube shunt using an Ahmed valve or Baerveldt tube is where a tube is placed in the anterior chamber of the eye (space between the iris and cornea) to slowly siphon out fluid from that part of the eye into a controlled reservoir underneath the conjunctiva where it slowly dissipates away

Doctor DanB :

The principles are not unlike those of a trabeculectomy, but its indications and utilty can be different in some cases than a trabeculectomy. The risks are also very similar. Pain, infection, bleeding, risk of the tube closing off, risk of the pressure going to low, risk of the tube extruding through the sclera, conjunctiva or cornea, risk of the pressure not being low enough, need for further surgery. Does this make sense?

JACUSTOMER-yrnhv81h- :

Is it a painful procedure and what are the long ter prospects of its success

Doctor DanB : It is generally not a painful procedure but some mild discomfort can be had after the surgery. Most people who end up needing this surgery do very well and do have their pressure lowered to an appropriate level.
Doctor DanB :

Also, since you have not had cataract surgery, this is an additonal possible risk, that you have cataract formation from this. Does all this make sense? Do you have any additonal questions that I haven't addressed yet?

JACUSTOMER-yrnhv81h- :

Is it a good long term solution and treatment for glaucoma

Doctor DanB :

Yes, it can be an excellent long-term solution; people who have this surgery can have consistent pressure lowering effects for many years to come.

Doctor DanB :

Do you have any other concerns about this topic that I haven't addressed?

JACUSTOMER-yrnhv81h- :

Do you often need drops in conjundtion with this surgery

Doctor DanB :

Yes, usually a steroid drop is used, as well as a dilating drop (sometimes). This is on top of whatever glaucoma drops your surgeon wants you to be on still.

JACUSTOMER-yrnhv81h- :

Are these long trm or just post procedure

Doctor DanB : These drops are usually just post procedure.
JACUSTOMER-yrnhv81h- :

Thank you I cant think of any more Questions at the moment

Doctor DanB : You're welcome. Please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter; this allows part of the funds that you have deposited to the website to be released for my efforts to assist you. This does not end our conversation, however-we can continue to discuss any of your concerns without further charges until you are satisfied. Any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. Thanks for your inquiry! My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor.