Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

episode where all of a sudden my right eye started having wavy lines

Customer Question

today i had an episode where all of a sudden my right eye started having wavy lines in it. it lasted for about 30 minutes. this has happened maybe two or three times this year. have any suggestions as to what may cause this.

thanks,

danny
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

It sounds like you are suffering from an ocular migraine.

Dr. Rick :

A typical migraine headache starts with shimmering lights, often times they surround a blurry area or have dots or jaggedly lines associated with them. They tend to progressively increase in intensity and sometimes march across the visual field causing difficulty with reading. Many times this is then accompanied by nausea, irritability, sensitivity to bright lights and/or loud noises. After the onset of the lights (called scintillating scotomas), the headache typically starts and the light show tends to progressively go away.

Many people can have this migraine phenomenon without the headache; it is called an acephalgic migraine. Some people even start having these late in life, or may have had a few much earlier in life that behaved differently and haven't had any for decades and then begin to have them; this is not uncommon. A family history of migraines is often present as well.

This is nothing to worry about. It is not a sign of a more serious underlying condition, brain tumor or anything like that. If the episodes become so frequent that they are bothersome there are medicines that can be used to decrease their frequency or stop an episode once it has started.

I, personally, have been suffering from this condition for almost 30 years. I almost never got the headaches after the visual effects and, hopefully, this will continue to be your experience.

Dr. Rick :

From your statement it seems like you have diabetes also. While the symptoms you describe are not usually due to blood sugar issues (you didn't report any other symptoms) it is possible. Did you check your BS at the time of this event?

Dr. Rick :

Hi. Welcome to chat.

Dr. Rick :

I was about to suggest that you make the physician who is managing your diabetes aware of what is going on just in case she wants to do any further testing etc.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the YES button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

JACUSTOMER-ojx2hmvo- :

I had wondered about the headaches and today I felt very drained as well

Dr. Rick :

My system shows you are in the chat room. Is there anything you would like to discus in more depth?

Dr. Rick :

Ya, that could be it.........

JACUSTOMER-ojx2hmvo- :

As far as I know I do not have a problem with diabetes but I have noticed that occassionally my suger level will drop and I can eat something sweet and feel ok. That was not the case today

Dr. Rick :

Ok. Well, then the most likely cause is an ocular migraine. Nothing to worry about. I've had them myself for over 30 years and I'm still kicking :o)

JACUSTOMER-ojx2hmvo- :

I had heard that

JACUSTOMER-ojx2hmvo- :

thanks for your info

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure. Have a great day!

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.
Let me know if there is anything else I can do for you.