Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology

I sent a quary minutes ago. Had computer problems

Customer Question

Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 2 years ago.

Doctor DanB : Hello and thanks for your question. How can I help you?
Customer:

I sent a quary 15 or 20 minutes ago concerning eye drops for trigeminal neuralgia eye problems.

Doctor DanB : Has your doctor ever given you a prescription drop for this?
Customer:

No, they know nothing about my problem!

Customer:

I should have said ,they know nothing about TN

Doctor DanB : Unfortunately, the source of the problem in TN is in the brain and therefore eyedrops haven't been shown to be an effective means of treatment for this. While you've been using an OTC artificial tear to date (and UT may be helping you) there really isn't a different it stronger drop that will do anything more for this. My recommendation would be to talk to your neurologist (if you have one, or get one if you don't) about taking a medicine called Neurontin (oral) that tends to work pretty well for this. Does that make sense?
Customer:

I've tried this medication & can no longer take it.

Customer:

I have a neurologist, He's not a lot of help. we live out in the boondocks

Customer:

Please issue credit, not accepted

Doctor DanB : There are other medicines besides Neurontin, but as I'm not a neurologist I can't speak intelligently about those options. What has your neurologist recommended?
Customer:

I'm on amitryptyln, phenytoin, baclofen and carbamazepine. Still have eye problems as well as facial pain. If there are no drops available the I guess thats my tough luck!!!!!!!

Experience: Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
Dr. DanB is correct. There is no topical eye preparation that will help with the pain of TN. It sounds like you have been getting excellent care from your neurologist but, unfortunately, you have not obtained significant relief from the pain of your TN with almost all of the available treatments.

I can fully understand your anger and frustration. At this point, even though you live in the boondocks, I think it is time for a trip to the Big City where you can consult with a pain management specialist.

All too often the pain of TN is resistant to treatment. In these cases an anesthesiologist knowledgeable in the intricacies of pain amelioration can be of some help.

Does this make sense to you?

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)
I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the YES button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Let me know if there are there any other concerns or issues you would like to discuss on this topic.