Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince
25407765

I am a full contact Muay Thai fighter. I also work in construction

Customer Question

I am a full contact Muay Thai fighter. I also work in construction and have two beautiful boys at 9 months. Within the last year I started to see a black mass floating in my right eye. Sid some research and some studies attribute this to high blood pressure. Time is limited in my life and I was wondering if there was something that I could do to get rid of these floaters.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 2 years ago.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hello, Welcome to Just Answer

Dr. A.S. Desai :

There can be a few causes for floaters in the eye such as posterior vitreous detachment(PVD), retinal detachment(RD).

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Though PVD is more common in occurance and more often seen in the elderly, it can still occur earlier in those who are more predisposed such as myopic and diabetic individuals.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

In case of posterior vitreous detachment(PVD), as the vitreous gets detached from its adjoining structures such as the retina, it causes a traction on the retina( especially the peripheral retina). This can cause the symptom of flashes of light to occur. Once it gets detached it forms a clump and can give rise to various symptoms in the form of floaters( lines/cobwebs/circles). Once the retina is found to be intact with no peripheral retinal tears or holes, there is no need to be concerned .Though not an emergency it is better to get the eye examined by an ophthalmologist so as to check for the intactness of the peripheral retina. In rare circumstances there could be a remote possibility of a peripheral retinal tear extending into a frank retinal detachment(RD). This would be characterised by a sudden onset of a shower of floaters along with flashes of light followed by a reduction in vision in one or more quadrants of the visual field. It would appear as if you were looking through a curtain or veil. Now this kind of situation is a kind of ocular emergency and requires the services of an ophthalmologist, preferably a retinal specialist.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Once it is confirmed after an eye exam that the present floater is from an episode of PVD, then more often than not, persons experiencing this symptom do get used to the floater and slowly learn to ignore it. Over a period of time it might even drift out of the central line of vision thus getting rid of the symptom of floater.

Customer : I have been to the eye doctor. They told me the same thing
Customer : is there anything in my diet I can change? Or anything I can do?
Dr. A.S. Desai :

It is very rare for a person to resort to the surgical treatment such as vitrectomy. This surgery ,though helpful in getting rid of the floater, can in turn cause more damage to the eye in the form of cataract formation and other problems. So it is best avoided unless mandatory such as in extreme reduction of vision from a large floater which is coming in the way of vision and affecting day to day chores.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Unfortunately no change in diet will help in this condition.

Customer : They said they could remove the gel that is turning to liquid. Id this the surgery you're talking about?
Dr. A.S. Desai :

Yes.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Is there anything else that I can answer for you?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Looks like you have gone offline for the moment. I shall exit from the chat and switch over to the Q&A pattern.

What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Please feel free to ask follow up questions, if any.

Thank you and best wishes.

If you are satisfied with the answer , please press the accept button so that I get my dues.

A bonus and/or positive feedback are welcome.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist