Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

ok im 7 weeks post lasik . my eyes are still dry . im on restatis

ok im 7 weeks post lasik . my eyes are still dry . im on restatis since about a week after my procedure. i think at one post i had an unstable tear film as when i went under air conditioning and my left eye would fog up .. this would happean outside too. this has since cleared up but its still dry. sometime i think i can see 20/20 but not for long. i found out i was allergic to genteal and have since switched refresh pm at night. i also apparently sleep with one eye ajar. my question is there still hope for me or do you think im doomed to chronic dry eye.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 5 years ago.

Doctor DanB : Hello and thanks for your question. Are you available to chat?
Customer:

yes

Customer:

hello i talked you before .. nice to see you again

Customer:

they are over working you

Doctor DanB : Likewise. Welcome back. Let me give you my opinion in what I would expect for you in your case...
Customer:

please

Customer:

i never had dry eye issues before so this is new to me

Customer:

right now my right eye is doing ok . but my left is blurry .. couple days ago it was reverse i think it depends how i sleep.. i tried taping my eyes but it seem to make it worse then when i dont use the googles

Doctor DanB : I definitely do not think you are doomed to have this dry eye, dysfunctional tear film, and continued problems from your LASIK forever.  First of all, being on Restasis requires approximately 3 months of continued use before it is fully effective so I think you still have some room to see continued improvement with Restasis. 
Customer:

i have been sleeping with a humidifer just cuz it doesn't hurt and taking omega tear tears since last week

Customer:

just as a boost

Customer:

what do you think i should do about my ajar eye

Customer:

my doc wants to tape it but like i said evey time i do i wish i didn't the next morning

Customer:

i recently bought some anti allegic tape but i have yet to try it

Doctor DanB : Second, many people take several months to get over their dry eye after having eye surgery even when they are not using Restasis so I suspect that with the use of Restasis you will likely still improvement in the coming weeks.  Third, you can increase the frequency with which you use artificial tears during the day. By using preservative free tears you can use them as many times a day as you want and that will help stabilize your tear film. Does all this make sense?
Customer:

yes it does '

Customer:

i have been using preseveative free tears

Customer:

refresh celluvisc every hour or so and systane ultra

Doctor DanB : I agree that using the goggles, the supplements and dehumidifier are all good things to do to help the situation. As far as the eye that does not close all the way when you sleep, I would recommend using a lubricating eye appointment such as a refresh. P.m. Ointment and putting a generous amount of that in that eye at night right before you go to bed and this will help it not be so dry by the morning time.
Customer:

i also have bottom plugs i was not aware of they put during surgurey .. supposed to disslove in 2 months or so per my doc i didn't even know. will that work with restatisis

Customer:

i feel it sting so i suppose it does

Customer:

i am better then last month. i just think being alleric to gental might have set me back

Doctor DanB : Yes the plugs should work okay with Restasis. Do you have any other questions that we haven't addressed about this topic?
Customer:

no i think thats it for now

Customer:

well thanks again and don't work too hard.

Doctor DanB : If not, Please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter; this allows part of the funds that you have deposited to the website to be released for my efforts to assist you. This does not end our conversation, however-we can continue to discuss any of your concerns without further charges until you are satisfied. Any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. Thanks for your inquiry! My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor.