Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

I have redness and itching in one eye. These symptoms appeared

I have redness and itching in one eye. These symptoms appeared after having the windows of my home open at the beginning of the summer. I had an iridotomy two years ago. The redness is worst in the morning upon waking and improves as the day progresses. It worsens if I am out inhaling allergens, such as fresh cut grasses, without using an steroid inhaler. The redness is only in the lower part of the eye, below the imaginary line of the dot. I hope this helps. Thank you.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 3 years ago.

Doctor DanB :

Hello and thanks for your question. Are you available to chat?

Doctor DanB :

This itching of the eyeballs is called allergic conjunctivitis and it can be quite maddening, but there are some steps you can take to begin to rid yourself of its symptoms; as it sounds like you have tried several therapies I’m going to suggest that you go all in to treat this. By that I mean, first of all, it is important to control the body's overall response to allergens and this would include taking an oral antihistamine such as claritin or zyrtec which you can buy over-the-counter. Secondly, an allergy eye drop is esssential to start; since you’ve already tried an over-the-counter drop in Zaditor and you’re still having problems, you may consider getting a prescription allergy drop called Pataday; it can be expensive, but in my experience is hands down better than all the rest. Lastly, cold compresses done several times/day can and will help the itching sensation and suppress the inflammation.

The itching should start to respond to this quickly if you hit it hard like this.

Doctor DanB :

I see that you are offline right now. I am happy to be able to help you today. I will also be happy to answer any other questions until you have the information you need. If you would like to ask further questions or clarification regarding anything I've said, please let me know and I will be happy to address your concerns as I see them on my screen.

If not, Please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter; this allows part of the funds that you have deposited to the website to be released for my efforts to assist you. This does not end our conversation, however-we can continue to discuss any of your concerns without further charges until you are satisfied.

Any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. Thanks for your inquiry!

My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor.

Doctor DanB :

Do you have any questions about this>?

Customer:

Why is only red below the opening from the iridotomy? Please note, I am on allegra and have been for two years.

I'm sorry that I haven't been able to respond, but the website's chat feature is making it very difficult so I switched to this Q&A format. The reason the eye is red right below the iridotomy is because the eye tends to have a "memory" so to speak. When there is inflammation in the eye, it tends to be worse or group around an area of the eye that has already had a history of inflammation, in this case the iridotomy.
Experience: Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology