Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

What cause the muscle behind The eyes to cause bulging

Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

There are a number of conditions that can cause swelling/bulging of the extraocular muscles and many of them will initially respond to a course of high dose steroids.

Dr. Rick :

Graves disease, which can be present even in the face of normal thyroid function tests, is the most common.

Dr. Rick :

Due to risks of compressive damage to the optic nerve as well as damage to the cornea of the eye from exposure it is important that an ophthalmologist be involved in your care.

Dr. Rick :

Can you tell me what type of doctors have been treating you so far? Other then the total body muscle pain have you had any other symptoms? Do you have any other medical problems or take any other medicines?

Dr. Rick :

Also, what major city do you live closest to?

Dr. Rick :

I see that you are offline. We can use the Q&A system to 'text message' each other. An email will be sent to each of us every time something is posted to this thread.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.
I am still here and looking forward to your response so we can continue to work on your question.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I live near coral springs in florida. I have been seeing by the top specialist at baskin and Palmer eye institute in Miami, FL. I have had back pain for 8 years ( i did surgery 4 yrs ago on L-4, L-5 lower back). I take oxycontin for pain.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.
You really can't do better then the folks at Bascom Palmer.....heck, they may be even better then me lol!

I really think when everything is said and done that you will find that what you are suffering from is Graves disease. There are antibodies that can form to your eye muscles that can be found with special blood work even if everything comes back time and time again showing that your thyroid is working normally.

It sounds like you are in good hand with the docs who are treating you. I'd not switch horses in the middle of this stream since you are already riding one of the best horses around

Does this make sense to you?

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)
I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the YES button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Let me know if there are there any other concerns or issues you would like to discuss on this topic.