Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

hello, the muscles in my left eye are weak and i have been

Customer Question

hello, the muscles in my left eye are weak and i have been to many opticians and tried prisms etc to try and correct this as for my job i need to change my focus instantly from looking at a tv screen to pressing the correct button on a live spreadsheet and the delay is causing my job to be so hard.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Prisms can, in some cases, control a problem with muscle imbalance however, as you seem to be experiencing, in some patients there a tendency for the need to have ever increasing strengths of prisms. This is called "eating prism".

JACUSTOMER-ld3ydck9- :

Who is the best person for me to see about this as my normal optician has not found an answer to the solution and I have had to buy new frames, so many new lenses and my job is self employed and costing me so much money :(

JACUSTOMER-ld3ydck9- :

would bifocals work?

Dr. Rick :

When this occurs it is frequently necessary to have a second evaluation of the situation and the best person to do this would be a pediatric ophthalmologist. But, you say, I am 35 years old....not a child. This is true, however, pediatric ophthalmologists are the experts on muscle imbalance and treat adults with this condition. Of course, you wouldn't be allowed to play with all the cool toys in the waiting room :o)

Dr. Rick :

It would depend on what area is most imbalanced with your muscles. From what you have told me you seem to have problems with distance vision and bifocals would not help with this.

Dr. Rick :

You may, after it is all said and done, need a combination of eye muscle surgery and glasses. You should strongly "suggest" to your optician and/or GP that they refer you to a pediatric ophthalmology expert.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

JACUSTOMER-ld3ydck9- :

i am at work now and when i have the laptop close to me and the tv screen close to me i cannot focus properly, when i put the tv screen further back but the laptop still close to me i cannot focus quick enough between the 2 and when i push the laptop back in front of the tv screen i cannot read the spreadsheet on the laptop properly

Dr. Rick :

Ok. You may have a convergence issue. This may be able to be helped by bifocals but it seems like your optician has been trying all sorts of things with prisms/glasses etc.....I think it is time for you to switch horses and get a fresh evaluation/opinion from a medical doctor who is the true expert on your issues.

Dr. Rick :

I know getting in to see an expert consultant in the UK system can be like pulling teeth but, in the long run, I believe this is your next best step.

JACUSTOMER-ld3ydck9- :

My optician said about bi focals but said it would be expensive and did not want to try that with me

Dr. Rick :

I am in the USA and, as such, can not refer patients in the UK system.

JACUSTOMER-ld3ydck9- :

oh I see, damn I was hoping you were in the UK/.

Dr. Rick :

I think your optician is in over his head and doesn't know what to do next.

Dr. Rick :

Greeting from Northern Wisconsin, USA

Dr. Rick :

It's weird how on the internet we can be half a world apart and it is as if you were down the street from me.....

Dr. Rick :

still there?

JACUSTOMER-ld3ydck9- :

yes i am still here

JACUSTOMER-ld3ydck9- :

confused.com

JACUSTOMER-ld3ydck9- :

:(

Dr. Rick :

Ya. I know. I wish I had an easy answer for you.......but strabismus is hard to fix using chat as my only tool.....but now, at least, you have some idea of where to go next

Dr. Rick :

I'd hold off on buying expensive bifocal for now and wait to see what the eye MD has to say.

JACUSTOMER-ld3ydck9- :

I have asked my optician to refer me to a specialist eye hospital over here. I thought it would be a lot more simple to do than this. what are bifocals exactly?

Dr. Rick :

What do you think?

Dr. Rick :

Bifocals are glasses that old farts like me use to see up close. They are also used in children and some adults with specific types of muscle imbalance. Here's a good article on them:

Dr. Rick :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bifocals

JACUSTOMER-ld3ydck9- :

can i have a prism in a bifocal lense?

Dr. Rick :

Yes.

Dr. Rick :

Is there anything else you would like to ask me this morning....actually, I think it is afternoon on your part of the Planet right now :)

JACUSTOMER-ld3ydck9- :

No i think i need to try and find a specialist over here, i just presumed there was a lens i could get to help me :( I do not want eye surgery

JACUSTOMER-ld3ydck9- :

yes it is 310pm here.

Dr. Rick :

Since you are in the Future perhaps you could check the stock market and give me some investment tips lol!

Dr. Rick :

I see you have stepped out of chat.

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the YES button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
Let me know if there are there any other concerns or issues you would like to discuss on this topic.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
I can understand you not wanting to go through eye muscle surgery. After a consultation with a pediatric ophthalmologist you should have a better idea of what ALL your options are, surgical and non-surgical alike.

I wish you the best of luck. If you have a chance, drop me a note on this thread and let me know how things turn out. Have a good day.