Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I AM 75 YEARS OF AGE . I HAD P D FOR 13 YEARS ABOUT 6 MONTHS

I AM 75 YEARS OF AGE . I HAD P D FOR 13 YEARS ABOUT 6 MONTHS AGO I STARTED TO XXXXX MY G P SAID IT WAS MY EYELASHES TURNING IN TO MY EYE AGINE
I DO NOT AGREE . OVER THE LAST 5 YEARS I HAVE HAD 3 OPS TO RIGHT THIS THE LAST
TIME 18 MONTH AGO I ALSO GET DOUBLE VISION. I HAD TO CLOSE ONE EYE TO TYPE
THIS. ITOLD THE OPTICTION WHEN I GOT THESE NEW GLASSES LAST YEAR HE SAID HE
WOULD FIX THIS , I THINK MOST OF THESE GUYS ARE JUST IN IT FOR THE FRAMES
"£400 HE CHARGED ME"
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today. The chat system is not working today but we can use this, the Q&A system to address your question. We can use the Q&A system to 'text message' each other. An email will be sent to each of us every time something is posted to this thread.
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
When you say that you had a "PD for 13 years...." do you mean a posterior vitreous detachment, also known as floaters?

Let me make sure I understand you completely. You have had 3 surgical procedures to correct the turning in of your lashes (entropian), the last one about a year and a half ago. Now your vision is blurry and, not only blurry, but you are experiencing double vision. The only way to get rid of this double vision is for you to close one eye.

In addressing these problems your Optician says that new glasses, which he charged you handsomely for, will fix the problem and your GP (who wishes he was an eye surgeon) thinks this is all due to your lashes turning in.

You are not convinced and worry that all of this is a sign or Parkinson's disease or some other terrible thing.

Does it sound like I'm getting things straight so far?

OOPS! You mashed the accept button while I was in the middle of starting to answer your question. :) Shall we continue to work on your issues? Just type and I will get a message that you are there. I am here and will not leave you until you get the answers you are looking for.

I am standing by.......
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
Ok. I've figured part of my question by myself. When you say that you had PD for 13 years, you mean that you have had parkinson's disease for 13 years.....

I'm still here......
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
hi iam still here what fo u want to know yes thats it
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
My system shows that you are online but you don't seem to be reviewing my posts; perhaps you have stepped away from your computer. I also see that you have used justanswer before so you understand how the system works....

Let me answer your question as I understand it:

Parkinson's disease can cause a large number of body wide problems including issues with the eyes. First of all the disease, as well as many of the medicines used to treat Parkinson's can cause dry eyes. Your history of turned in eyelashes would tend to make this issue worse. These problems can cause double vision due to tear film abnormalities and problems with corneal exposure. The best way to treat this is with a stepwise approach:

First, the use of natural tears 4-6+ times/day to augment your natural tear production, if this doesn’t work then you can try temporary punctal occlusion of the lower puncta, then, if needed, temporary occlusion of all 4 puncta then, if indicated, surgical ( non-reversible) closure of the puncta. The openings to your tear drainage system are called puncta and you have one opening on each lid, near your nose.

If this doesn't help with your double vision your problem may be rooted in your parkinson's disease itself causing problems with your eyes working together. This is particularly common with near vision tasks and when looking up. The best person to evaluate you for this issue would be a neuro-ophthalmologist. Perhaps your GP would be willing to refer you.

I very much doubt that glasses or your eyelids are the root cause of your problems, as much as your optician and GP would like it to be. I suggest you have a complete eye exam by an ophthalmologist as well as review your symptoms with the doctor treating your parkinson's disease. Perhaps he can change around some of your meds.

Does this make sense to you?
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
I am still online if you would like to discuss things with me more...let me know.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
i want to know what is causing my proplem