Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

For just the last two to three days I have had some double vision

For just the last two to three days I have had some double vision. It only last about 10 to 15 seconds. Can you tell me why. I am 65 years old and had just had a physical.

Doctor DanB : Hello and thanks for your question. Are you available to chat?
Doctor DanB :

When you have this double vision can you blink it away? Does it go away if you cover one eye? If so, does it matter what eye you cover?

Customer:

If I cover one eye it goes away. Either eye.

Doctor DanB :

can you blink it away?

Customer:

yes

Doctor DanB :

Is there every a time where it lasts longer than 10-15 seconds and that you can't blink it away? If so, is it lasting longer than a minute?

Customer:

No it only latst for a very short while. It happen this morning, went away and has not happen again so far today. it is 2PM.

Doctor DanB :

The fact that it is only lasting a few seconds at a time and goes away with blinking tells me that this is not a serious issue, but is likely an issue related to a dysfunctional tear film, or an alteration in the layer of tears that coats the front of the eyes. This is a very common problem, and usually not a serious problem, but a dysfunctional tear film can not only lead to intermittent vision blurring and double vision, but can also cause symptoms such as burning, stinging, itching, tearing, foreign-body sensation, mattering/caking of the lashes in the morning, pain, light-sensitivity and discharge. I would recommend...

Doctor DanB :

I would recommend starting to use some artificial tears 3-4x/day in both eyes for the next week or so. If this continues despite that, and/or gets to the point that it is lasting longer than a few seconds or cannot be resolved with blinking, then I would recommend going to see your ophthalmologist to get an evaluation to feret out the source of the double vision. Likewise, I would recommend going to see your ophthalmologist if it starts to be associated with headache, drooping eyelids, severe eye pain or decreased vision. If you have weakness/numbness, difficulty walking, talking, swallowing or you feel particularly dizzy then these are symptoms that should be evaluated immediately in the ER, although I don't necessarily expect these to happen to you. Does that make sense?

Doctor DanB :

I must step away from my desk for just 5 or so minutes, but I will be back to continue our conversation. Please bear with me.

Customer:

Thank you. As we get older we are always afraid that something is going wrong with our body. I have always tried to keep myself in good health. Thank you again. I will get the eye drops.

Any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. Thanks for your inquiry!

My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor.