Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince
25407765

Lump on my eyeball. I can't see it but I can feel it.

Hi I have a lump on my eyeball. I can't see it but I can feel it. It has been there for a bout 3 weeks. No discomfort except for the first few days when it was forming. What could it be?

Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 5 years ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer
When you feel the lid how big or small is the lump( size of a mustard seed or that of a pea)? Is it on the upper eyelid?

JACUSTOMER-s5dmkxhs- :
About the size of a pea. It's not on the eyelid. When I pull the eyelid away it's fine. It seems to be on the eyeball behind the eyelid.

Dr. A.S. Desai :
You said there was no pain as such, right? Has been there since 3 weeks now- any change in its size?

JACUSTOMER-s5dmkxhs- :
At the start it was a little painful when it was forming - for about 3 days. Since then it has not been painful and has been consistent in size. It bigger now than it was at the start I think but day to day I don't notice any change.

Dr. A.S. Desai :
Though the lump is better felt than seen and is not on the eyelid but way behind, it is still very likely to be a chalazion. A chalazion is a kind of chronic inflammation of the meibomian gland which is a kind of modified sebaceous gland, situated in the lids.

When a chalazion gets infected it results in an acute internal hordeolum( kind of stye).

JACUSTOMER-s5dmkxhs- :
how would I treat it?

Dr. A.S. Desai :
The treatment is basically in the form of warm compresses, to be done thrice a day for 2-3 weeks. Depending on the size of the chalazion, it may take anywhere between 6weeks to 6months.

Only those chalazia which do not respond to warm compresses by the expected time, are to be treated by a minor surgical procedure.

JACUSTOMER-s5dmkxhs- :
Is it likely to recur?

Dr. A.S. Desai :
Yes, it is possible for chalazia to recur.

JACUSTOMER-s5dmkxhs- :
ok thats great thanks.

Dr. A.S. Desai :
Prevention is done by detecting the possible triggering factors such as rule out diabetes, refractive error( glasses) or blepharitis (inflammation of the lid margins).