Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology

I had a consultation for lazer eye treatment a few years age

Customer Question

I had a consultation for lazer eye treatment a few years age and decided not to op for it. Reason being the consultant told me that due to my age (51) the results probably wouldn't last as long as they would on someone younger. He did however say that there was another procedure that could be done that has to be performed in a hospital. They do one eye at a time with a break in between and it would cost around six thousand pounds. I would like this done now as i can't wear contacts all the time due to having dry eyes and am wearing two sets of glasses all the time which drives me mad. Can you tell me what the procedure is called please as i have forgotten the name and if you think it is worth doind and is suitable for me with my dry eyes or can it make the problem worse?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 5 years ago.

Doctor DanB :

Hello and thanks for your question. Are you available to chat?

Doctor DanB :

What you're referring to is called a refractive lens exchange. If your lenses are now cataracts, then the same procedure is done but called cataract surgery. The procedure involves making two small incisions in the eye (3mm and 1mm) and using a small ultrasound probe, to gently break up your lens and vacuum it out. An artificial intraocular lens implant (IOL) would then be implanted in its place. There are newer lenses on the market these days that allow a person to have relative glasses independence at near, intermediate and far distances--they can be a bit pricey, but many people swear by them for the independence they get from spectacles. Can this surgery make dry eye worse? Yes, but usually the effect is transitory and not long-lasting. As long as the dry eye is well controlled and given appropriate attention after the surgery, it usually is not permanently made worse. Does this help answer your question?

Doctor DanB : Do you have any other concerns about this that we haven't addressed? It appears you are momentarily offline  I am happy to be able to help you today. I will also be happy to answer any other questions until you have the information you need; please just respond with any further needs and I will address them then.  If not, Please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter; this allows part of the funds that you have deposited to the website to be released for my efforts to assist you. This does not end our conversation, however-we can continue to discuss any of your concerns without further charges until you are satisfied. Any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. Thanks for your inquiry! My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor.