Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

severe eye pain, swelling, white of eye is red with black spots,

severe eye pain, swelling, white of eye is red with black spots, extremely sensitive to light; in the AM mucus draining from nose and mouth (some blood in mucus); cannot even touch eye pain is so severe; individual went to see "specialist" today and was given steriods with pain killers. Symptoms have lasted approximately 1 month.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Was Josh seen by an ophthalmologist (MD)? What is the name of the drops he is using?

Customer:

Let me get those answers to you...1 sec

Dr. Rick :

ok

Customer:

yes Josh was seen an optthalmologist

Customer:

he was on prescribed eye drops, but now he is on prednizone pills

Customer:

w/ the painkiller eauldin??? 4 mg (morphine??)

Dr. Rick :

Ok. So he is no longer using any eye drops, correct? Did the doctor call his condition uveitis? Do you know what the diagnosis is so far?

Dr. Rick :

Dilaudid? Small pill that kinda knocks him out?

Customer:

Dr. Rick....I'm going to talk directly to Josh in approx 1 min by phone.....

Dr. Rick :

Ok. I'll stand by

Customer:

see I'm trying to get this boy some help.....his mother/father basically washed their hands of him and his brother (friends of my sons...)...long story short - I was just hit with this and I'm afraid this is far more than an eye infection

Customer:

specialist told him today that "he has no idea what is wrong"....please just give me a min or so....sorry for taking your time

Dr. Rick :

Sounds that way......It is important that we are sure that he is being treated by an ophthalmologist....an eye surgeon, MD...

Customer:

my sons are going to see Josh right now and I'm anticipating a phone call any second

Dr. Rick :

No problem. Just relaxing after a long day in the operating room....

Customer:

In your opinion...should he go to an emergency room, ie..,, UCONN (Univ of CT) medical center?

Customer:

apparently this opthimolgist sent him home w/ pills and I'll see you on 10/20....

Customer:

I'm not familiar w/ uveitis...... I've made a note and will do some research once we're done

Dr. Rick :

A general ER doc will be useless for this condition. The only way that a visit to the ER would be helpful would be if an ophthalmologist can come and see him during his ER visit.

Dr. Rick :

Can you find out the names of the pills, including the pain pills, what the working diagnosis is, and some more history of this problem? I am a retina specialist and treat a large number of patients with eye inflammation/uveitis. etc.

Customer:

yes true....I don't see how someone can just throw their kid away like this....makes me sick....here I'm not even family and I'm worried sick......I'm getting that information now

Dr. Rick :

while we wait you can tell me the story of his parents if you want......

Customer:

he's getting Rx info for me now

Dr. Rick :

k

Dr. Rick :

How far are you from Yale?

Customer:

20 mg predizone, 200 mg boriconazole &

Customer:

atropine sulfate eye drops

Customer:

also..

Customer:

prednisolone drops as well

Customer:

one more....

Dr. Rick :

does he wear contact lenses?

Customer:

hyeromorphone - pain killers (4 mg every 3 hrs)

Customer:

no contact lenses, dr feels josh obtained some type of bacterial infection

Customer:

yes we are not far from Yale

Dr. Rick :

Voriconazole is a powerful antifungal agent. Is it being given only as a pill or as a drop as well?

Customer:

pill only

Customer:

Dr. Rick - are you @ Yale?

Dr. Rick :

No. I trained in NYC many moons ago but now I practice as the only retina specialist for over an hours drive in any direction from a small town tucked away in the National Forests of Northern Wisconsin.....

Customer:

oh I see...so basically your advise is to seek out a good eye dr. asap?

Dr. Rick :

I think he needs to get to a sub specialist. Jimmy Lee, MD at Yale is an expert in diseases of the cornea. Also, in the department are experts in Uveitis, retinal diseases and ocular immunology....all just a few steps away down the hall from Dr. Lee.

Dr. Rick :

I think he should obtain copies of his records, bring all his meds and try to get seen there tomorrow. Here is the contact info:

Dr. Rick :

Ophthalmology & Visual Science
40 Temple Street
New Haven, CT 06510Tel:(NNN) NNN-NNNNbr/>Tel: 1.800.395.7949 (Toll Free)
Fax:(NNN) NNN-NNNN/address>

Customer:

is that what Uveitis is? having to do with the Cornea?

Customer:

I certainly will give this info to him....I used to live in New Haven many moons ago....thank you for your time Dr. Rick! You have a good night - go rest! :) Donna

Dr. Rick :

Uveitis is swelling inside the eye from any cause. Fungal infections are usually in the cornea (the clear front of the eye) but they can be in the retina, vitreous etc (back of the eye) and, if they are in the back of the eye, this doc is not being aggressive enough from what you are telling me.

Dr. Rick :

You too. Let me know how things turn out. You can just post to this thread.

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the YES button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Customer:

exactly what I thought

Dr. Rick :

Give my best to Josh. And tell him to be careful with that dilaudid....it is very powerful stuff.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
Let me know if there are there any other concerns or issues you would like to discuss on this topic.
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest