Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250
Eye

I got soap in eye a few years after cataract surgery now have

a blur in my eye,what... Show More
a blur in my eye,what can I do ? I've used drops and water but it will not clear up.
Category: Eye
replied 5 years ago.

Doctor DanB : Hello and thanks for your question. Are you available to chat?
JACUSTOMER-zxbx83za- :

yes

Doctor DanB : I suspect that the soap in your eye was more if a coincidental incident that brought to your attention the decreased vision in that eye and not necessarily the cause. Let me explain...
JACUSTOMER-zxbx83za- :

are you here ?

Doctor DanB : One of the most common causes for the painless degradation of vision in the years after cataract surgery is the growth if a cloudy membrane behind the lens implant. Up to 30% of cataract surgery patients can get this and it can occur typically a few years after the cataract surgery.
Doctor DanB :

Thankfully, there is a very simple and straightforward fix for a problem like this. Your ophthalmologist should be able to use a laser in a short (5-10 minute), painless procedure to punch a hole in this cloudy membrane, it falls to the back of the eye to be absorbed over time, and the vision then returns.

Doctor DanB :

While there certainly can be other reasons why your vision painlessly became degraded after cataract surgery, this is by far the most common. Getting soap in the eye should not cause a constant decreased vision in an eye. Does that make sense? What questions do you have about this?

JACUSTOMER-zxbx83za- :

Why didn't I notice it before getting shampoo in my eye ? My vision was clear until that happened.

Doctor DanB :

This is one of the most common scenarios that patients discover decreased vision in. This is because getting something in the eye causes the person to be closing one eye and judging vision against the other. I highly suspect (although I can't say for sure, obviously) that the reason you didn't notice it before is because the vision in the other eye is good and you've been subconsciously relying on the vision in that eye, while you didn't realize the vision in the other eye was poorer because both eyes are almost always open all the time. Does that make sense?

JACUSTOMER-zxbx83za- :

I don't know, this is so bad it's making me sick to my stomach, can hardly stand to be on the computer or watch TV.

Doctor DanB :

How bad is the vision? Is it just mildly blurry or are we talking about a large drop in the vision?

JACUSTOMER-zxbx83za- :

large drop, looks like a big brown thumb print right in the center of that eye.

Doctor DanB :

I still think that this is unlikely to be caused by soap in the eye. I don't expect that anything you can do from home will have a significant effect on this; I think you will ultimately need to have your ophthalmologist evaluate this to see whether this is due to that cloudy membrane behind the lens implant, or whether this is due to something else like swelling in the retina or macular degeneration.

Doctor DanB :

Do you have any other questions about this?