Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology

I have redness on my lower eyelid. What is the cause and what

Customer Question

I have redness on my lower eyelid. What is the cause and what can I put on it?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 5 years ago.

Doctor DanB : Hello and thanks for your question. Are you available to chat?

Doctor DanB :

Is this redness itchy and/or scaly? Is it only on one eye or both?

It is in both botXXXXX XXXXXds and is just red

Doctor DanB : How long has it been like that? Is it painful or tender? Any swelling associated with it?

Since yesterday. When I woke up it was a little scally

Doctor DanB : Do you have seasonal allergies?

What can I do for it?

Doctor DanB : Does this make sense?
Doctor DanB : This problem with the eyelid skin is called allergic dermatitis. It can be and usually is a response to environmental allergens that can be difficult to pinpoint exactly.  There are some steps you can take to begin to rid yourself of its symptoms. First of all, it is important to control the body's overall response to allergens and this would include taking an oral antihistamine such as claritin or zyrtec which you can buy over-the-counter. I would suggest getting some 1% hydrocortisone ointment (also OTC) and rubbing that on the affected skin areas (not in the eyes) twice daily. Lastly, cold compresses done several times/day can and will help the itching sensation and suppress the inflammation. Doing all of these things as directed, it may take a week or so before you notice a significant improvement in the appearance but any itching should start to respond to this quickly.  
Any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. Thanks for your inquiry!
My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor.