Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

I woke up with my left pupil dilated and my right one normal.

Customer Question

I woke up with my left pupil dilated and my right one normal. It never happened before, no injury, no eye drops, just randomly dilated after I woke up this morning. What could be the reason?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today. The chat system is not working today but we can use this system to work on your question.

How dilated is your pupil? If you close your other eye, can you read with the dilated one or see clearly in the distance (with glasses on if needed)?

Have you used any medicines lately? Anti nausea patches etc?

Any other symptoms or issues?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I've used Bronkaid and Caffeine.

As for reading and seeing if I close my non dilated eye; it's fine. Seems a bit weird I guess or blurry, not sure how to describe it, but I can still see and read. It's not FULLY dilated, but it's pretty big, relative to the other eye.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
Ok. That's good. Is there anyway that you can upload a closeup picture of the dilated pupil? If so, here is an easy way to send it to me:

Save your picture on your computer, someplace easy to find it such as your desktop.
Go to www.tinypic.com
Upload your picture to the site tinypic.com by browsing for it as directed.
This opens up files on your computer. Double click on the picture you want to upload then hit open (bottom right of the screen). This will take you back to the tinypic page. Hit "upload now" then do the secret code thing and your picture will upload into the system.
Once you do that it gives you a bunch of links you can use, one of which says "direct link for layouts" It is important to use this box. It is the forth one down from the top of the page.
Copy the link from inside this box and then paste it into your justanswer dialog box and send it to your expert.

If you can't get a picture uploaded just let me know and we can work on this issue without it.....
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I can't get one right now.

Also, I had a sinus infection about 10 days ago, and I've since recovered. Took augmentin for it.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
Ok. No problem. This is unlikely to be related to your sinus infection of the augmentin use.

You most likely have what is called physiologic anisocoria. This is the normal difference between the size of your pupils that can happen for no real reason. It is not the sign of a brain tumor (everyone thinks of this one first for some reason :o) or anything serious. It really is nothing to be worried about in an otherwise healthy young man such as yourself.

Here is a good article on the topic:

http://visiononesource.com/my-eye-disease/50-iris-and-pupil-conditions/165-physiological-anisocoria.html

Does this make sense to you?

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)
I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the YES button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Let me know if there are there any other concerns or issues you would like to discuss on this topic.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Will it settle back down to normal size?? How long should I wait before going to see someone? So there is no reason for concern because I'm getting anxiety because of this now.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
I can understand your concern but, while there are other causes of an enlarged (or a small pupil) the odds are way in your favor that you have the condition I discussed above.

Things should be better by this afternoon. If there is still only a small residual difference, say one to two millimeters, between the size of your pupils in normal light then I still believe you will be OK.

If it is significantly larger then that then you might want to call an ophthalmologist and have her take a look at you. In any event, do your best not to panic as I, truly, believe you will be just fine.

OK? ok.
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
.