Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I have glaucoma and visit my opthamologist twice a year .

Customer Question

I have glaucoma and visit my opthamologist twice a year . Am I wasting my money as apart from prescibing eye drops there is nothing he can do
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Glaucoma, as you know, is a blinding disease left untreated much like diabetes is fatal if not treated. Both diseases, however, can be controlled and allow the patient to maintain lifelong vision and health, respectively.

Dr. Rick :

There are many reasons your vision might be getting worse that are totally unrelated to your open angle glaucoma. Trusopt and Xalatan are excellent medicines that, in a large percentage of patients, reduce your eye pressure to levels that help to prevent any further damage from glaucoma.

Dr. Rick :

I would say that you are not wasting your time and hard-earned money visiting your ophthalmologist every 6 months. Given the frequency of your visits I would venture a guess that your glaucoma is fairly well controlled with the therapy you are currently on. With consistent use of your eye drops and regular follow up there is no reason you shouldn't be able to maintain excellent vision, even with glaucoma, for your entire life.

Dr. Rick :

I would encourage you to continue seeing your ophthalmologist and taking your drops.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the YES button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick :

I see that you are offline. We can use the Q&A system to 'text message' each other. An email will be sent to each of us every time something is posted to this thread.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.
Let me know if there are there any other concerns or issues you would like to discuss on this topic. It has been a pleasure to help you again. Have a good day.