Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

I would like to get LASIK but very scared because of a friend

I would like to get LASIK but very scared because of a friend who did it and suffered from headaches after he had it done. How safe is this procedure?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 2 years ago.

Doctor DanB : Hello and thanks for your question. Are you available to chat?
Doctor DanB :

LASIK is generally a safe procedure. It is, however, a major surgery and so the risks should be balanced out against the possible benefits. Most people who end up getting LASIK don't have any complications. However, there is a possibility that a second procedure needs to be done to enhance the outcome (if the desired target was not reached). There is a possibility that the eyes become significantly dry after LASIK which can lead to long-term problems in the minority of people (but this is usually in persons who had dry eye before that did not receive the correct pre-operative assessment and/or treatment for dry). Some people end up with intractable glare and/or halos, but again this is a small minority. And then there are the more grave complications that can make someone's vision worse than what they started with, sometimes significantly. Knowing that most people end up doing well without any significant complications and are very happy with their result, you should ask yourself whether it's worth the risk and the monetary investment; after all, this is a cosmetic surgery and presumably you see well with glasses right now. Does this make sense?

Customer:

Yes, Dr Dan. How do I find a good LASIK doctor? Should I go for those LivingSocial deals offerring $299 per eye surgery?

Doctor DanB :

Oh, please don't. The best way to find a good, reputable LASIK surgeon is to call different ophthalmologist's offices and ask who they recommend (if they recommend themselves, keep calling others who don't do LASIK and see who they recommend. Also, talk to friends and acquaintenances to see who they used. If you are in a large metropolitan area, I can see if there are nationally renowned experts near you. Where do you live?

Customer:

I live closest to Atlanta

Doctor DanB :

If you'll give me a moment I'll see if I can find anyone near there who has a national reputation for LASIK surgery.

Customer:

thanks so much

Doctor DanB :

I'm sorry, but I don't find any nationally renowned LASIK surgeons in the Atlanta area, but I would still recommend looking through the methods I discussed before; that doesn't mean you can't find a very good LASIK surgeon (it just means the 15-20 nationally renowned LASIK surgeons don't live near Atlanta :).

Doctor DanB :

Do you have any other questions about this that I can help you with?

Doctor DanB :

I am happy to be able to help you today. I will also be happy to answer any other questions until you have the information you need.

Please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter; this allows part of the funds that you have deposited to the website to be released for my efforts to assist you. This does not end our conversation, however—we can continue to discuss any of your concerns regarding this topic without further charges until you are satisfied.

Any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. Thanks for trusting me to help you with your concerns!

My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor.

Experience: Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology