Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

I have very sensitive eyes, seeming to suffer from allergies

I have very sensitive eyes, seeming to suffer from allergies and hayfever..Would that creat a problem with eye surgery eg rejection, soreness etc
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 5 years ago.

Doctor DanB : Hello and thanks for your question. Are you available to chat?
Doctor DanB : The inflammation from the allergies can cause delayed healing and worse inflammation associated with the surgery if the allergies are significantly active at the time of surgery. But it likely would not cause irreparable harm, just make it harder to get over surgical inflammation. Does this make sense?
Customer:

how long would you expect it to take to get over surgical inflammation.

Doctor DanB : It depends on the surgery. Which surgery are you going to have?
Customer:

Also it it better to have the op done under general anaesthetic. I am such a coward. what are the risks of going blind or having worse sight at the end of it all

Customer:

answer to surgery question, thinking of implants as I AM 64 with thin corneas as I understand it.

Doctor DanB : What surgery are you going to have?
Doctor DanB : The chances of going blind from this is very small. Greater than 95% end up better than they were before.
Doctor DanB : Do you have any other concerns about this that we haven't addressed?
Doctor DanB : Most people are over the inflammation from lens implant surgery after about 1 month.
Customer:

Are there recommended implants that would give me reading sight as well as long distacne without any compormise

Doctor DanB : There are implants that do enable people to see relatively well at near and out far without glasses. However there is always a compromise. The people with these lenses have a decreased contrast sensitivity and also may be subject to glare and the halos with these lens implants.
Doctor DanB : Does that make sense?
Doctor DanB : Are you still there? Do you have any other questions?
Doctor DanB : If not, Please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter; this allows part of the funds that you have deposited to the website to be released for my efforts to assist you. This does not end our conversation, however-we can continue to discuss any of your concerns without further charges until you are satisfied. Any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. Thanks for your inquiry! My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor.