Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

My 2 yr old grandson has light grayish/blue spots on the whites

My 2 yr old grandson has light grayish/blue spots on the whites of his eyes - maybe 8 or so on each eye. When I pull down the bottom part of the eyes there are a few there as well. Also, the whites of his eye balls both look an even more pale grayish color instead of completely white like his twin brother. Both boys have a blue spot at the base of the spine which their mother has told me is hereditary for the Japanese. The boys are both 1/4 Japanese. I just noticed the spots yesterday and now that I see them I know his whites of his eye-balls may have been a very light grayinsh blue (all over) before this but I just did not notice it as it is very faint. I told their mother yesterday and she said she needed to get both boys in for an eye appointment so she would make an appointment very soon. We are very concerned.
Would you have any idea if these spots on the whites of the eyes are linked to the blue spots at the lowest point on the spine? In your opinion, what may the pale grayish/blue spots on the eyes possibly be? They spots are about 1/16th of an inch and rectangle to round pin dots in size.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

The spots on his eyeball may areas of thin sclera (the white wall of the eye) that is allowing the inside of the eye (uvea, which is the retina, choroid etc) to show through.

Dr. Rick :

Here is a nice article that talks about the parts of the eyeball:

Dr. Rick :

These spots might mean that your son is nearsighted or, most likely, it is nothing to worry about and it just the way his eye is.

Dr. Rick :

I agree with the plan to have him examined and suggest you take him to a pediatric ophthalmologist. They are the best trained physicians to do a complete exam on a child. As far as the spot at the base of his spine I do not think this is related to the eye findings. What does your Grandson's pediatrician think about this spot on the skin over his spine?

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

And now for a word from our sponsors :o) If my response has been helpful please press the "yes" button. Positive feedback and/or a bonus is welcome and appreciated. Have a nice day.

Let me know if there is anything else I can do to assist you with this issue.