Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology

Hi, My eyes are constantly very bloodshot. I try not to

My eyes are constantly very bloodshot. I try not to use "get the red out" drops except when I absolutely have to do so to avoid appearing horrible for a client meeting or something similar, so maybe once a week? I do not suffer from allergies, I do not have HBP, I don't drink or smoke or do any type of drugs. HELP!
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 2 years ago.

Doctor DanB :

Hello and thanks for your question. Do you have any burning, irritation, itching, tearing, mattering/caking of your eyelashes upon waking, pain, discharge, light-sensitivity or decreased vision?

Customer:

No sir.

Doctor DanB : Are the rims of your eyelids red as well?
Customer:

They are pink, but not red.

Doctor DanB : The most common reason for this is an inflammation of the eyelids called blepharitis which causes spillover of inflammation to the eyeball. Because blepharitis is so under-diagnosed and the treatment for it is relatively benign, you might consider starting this treatment, while concurrently continuing artificial tears. In order to treat blepharitis, everyday in the morning you should do two things: 1. hot compresses and 2. eyelid scrubs. You should do hot compresses for 5-10 minutes over each eye at the same time. It should be as hot as you can tolerate without burning your skin, massaging the eyelids while they are on there. Then, use either commercially available preparations or a dilute baby shampoo solution to scrub your eyelashes on all 4 eyelids. The commercially available preparations are called Ocusoft or Sterilid which are both over-the-counter eyelash scrubbing treatments. These cost more money but are quicker to use. Otherwise, the cheaper alternative is the dilute baby shampoo (4-5 drops Johnson's shampoo in 1/4 cup warm water), you will take the wipe (or dip a qtip in the dilute baby shampoo solution) and use that to scrub right on the eyelashes of each eyelid for 15 seconds. That will take 60 seconds when done to all 4 eyelids. The scrubbing is done right on the eyelid margin, where the eyelashes come out. After that, just splash some water on the eyes and you're done. It does take about 3-4 weeks of doing this consistently every day before it really kicks in, so don't stop it thinking it's not working. Also the eyes are still significantly dry during this 3-4 weeks so use the artificial tears you bought 4x/day in both eyes (one drop per application). After 4 weeks you should be able to start tapering off of the tears to as you need them.Just doing the artificial tears, hot compresses and eyelid scrubs alone would likely start to help you after three or 4 weeks--but remember it could take this long of doing it everyday before you see a significant effect, so don't stop it thinking it's not working. 
Doctor DanB : Does this make sense?
Customer:

It does and I will start immediately. Thank you so much!

Experience: Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology