Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

My husband and I both traded or laptops last christmas for

My husband and I both traded or laptops last christmas for Macbook air laptops. We still spend the same amount of time on the computers. We both now have deteriorating eyesight. And it seems to be deteriorating rather fast. Is there a connection with switching to Macbooks?
Kind regards,Brigitte

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

No. Switching laptops types to macbooks will not damage your eyes at all.

Dr. Rick :

It is common around age 40 to start needing reading glasses. This is called presbyopia and is nothing to worry about. Just go to an inexpensive store and pick up some "cheaters", probably around +1.50 power.

Dr. Rick :

Here is a good article on this topic;

Dr. Rick :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Presbyopia

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the YES button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick :

I see that you are offline. We can use the Q&A system to 'text message' each other. An email will be sent to each of us every time something is posted to this thread.

Let me know if there are there any other concerns or issues you would like to discuss on this topic.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It is just that the eyesight for both of us suddenly has been deteriorating. My husband is 47 and never had this before.
Does the extensive use of computers in general deteriorate your eyesight? (maybe we just started spending to much time on our computers as we are very enthousiastic about our Macbooks)
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Is there anything you can do to keep your eyesight from deteriorating?
(less computertime, excercises etc.)
No. Presbyopia happens to every human on the planet.....even us Ophthalmologists -- who, I strongly feel, should be exempt :o)

There are no exercises, pills to take, diet to eat or special glasses to wear....and anyone who tries to sell you something along these lines is just doing their best to steal your hard earned money.
Even though I am a Windows Computer user/fan I have to admit that it is safe to use your MacBook as much as you want without fear of damaging your eyes. :)