Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

pressure in my eyes vary between 23 and 25. What numbers

pressure in my eyes vary between 23 and 25. What numbers are too high and low should be? and soon do I need to start using drops?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

As you might already know, the "normal" eye pressure is between 10 and 21 mmHg.

Dr. Rick :

There is a lot more, however, to the diagnosis -- and possible treatment -- of eye pressure and glaucoma then just a number. Everyone is different and some folks have damage a low pressures and some have higher pressures and seem to be ok.

Dr. Rick :

When deciding to start what is likely to become a life long treatment with drops etc an ophthalmologist evaluates not only your eye pressure but your central corneal thickness, visual field and morphology of your optic nerve. When looking at the optic nerve she is searching for changes in the center of the nerve as compared to the edges (the cup to disk ratio) that might be suggestive of glaucoma.

Dr. Rick :

If you have a normal cup to disk ratio, normal visual fields and everything else looks good (I noticed Dr. Dan talked to you about your laser iridotomies for narrow angles....) then I, personally, would not start treatment for an eye pressure of 23 or 25.

Dr. Rick :

Make sure you are being evaluated by an ophthalmologist for this issue, find a doc you trust and do what the two of you decide is best for you and your eye.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

However, since glaucoma is a progressive, irreversible, blinding disease, I would make sure to watch your eye pressure and other parameters closely and start treatment at the first sign of progression.

Dr. Rick :

I guess you have stepped away from your computer...

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the YES button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.
Let me know if there are there any other concerns or issues you would like to discuss on this topic.