Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

hard time focusing, then it also seemed like the field in the middle

while reading a magazine today, it seemed i had a hard time focusing, then it also seemed like the field in the middle of the page was faded, almost blank at times.
After a while my eye sight was back to normal
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Did you try looking at the page with one eye at a time? If so, were both eyes affected? How long did this episode last?

Customer:

yes i did, and it was more pronouned on the left eye (which is weaker normally anyway). It lasted about 10-15 minutes

Dr. Rick :

Did you notice any sort of shimmering or weird lights in the edge of your vision? Did the center of words seem hard to see at times?

Customer:

no, just fading in and out - like i could not focus

Dr. Rick :

Did you have any other physical symptoms at the time? Also, do you have any medical problems?

Customer:

Seemed a little dizzy when i got up, but that stabilized. I am diabetic !! since about 8 years - well controlled by medication - not insulin

Customer:

Diabetes II

Dr. Rick :

It sounds like you may have had an ocular migraine.

Customer:

and .. what is that? i did not have any pain?

Dr. Rick :

A typical migraine headache starts with shimmering lights, often times they surround a blurry area or have dots or jaggedly lines associated with them. They tend to progressively increase in intensity and sometimes march across the visual field causing difficulty with reading. Many times this is then accompanied by nausea, irritability, sensitivity to bright lights and/or loud noises. After the onset of the lights (called scintillating scotomas), the headache typically starts and the light show tends to progressively go away.

Many people can have this migraine phenomenon without the headache; it is called an acephalgic migraine. Some people even start having these late in life, or may have had a few much earlier in life that behaved differently and haven't had any for decades and then begin to have them; this is not uncommon. A family history of migraines is often present as well.

This is nothing to worry about. It is not a sign of a more serious underlying condition, brain tumor or anything like that. If the episodes become so frequent that they are bothersome there are medicines that can be used to decrease their frequency or stop an episode once it has started.

Dr. Rick :

I, personally, have been suffering from this condition for almost 30 years. I almost never got the headaches after the visual effects and, hopefully, this will continue to be your experience.

Customer:

Thanks

Dr. Rick :

Another thing that could cause this problem, given your history of Diabetes, is low blood sugar. It might be worthwhile for you to mention this episode to your internal medicine doc next time you see her and, if you have another episode, check your blood sugar if you can.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Customer:

yes it does, thanks

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure.

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
Let me know if there are there any other concerns or issues you would like to discuss on this topic.