Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

About a week ago my wife noticed a red streak in my left eye.

About a week ago my wife noticed a red streak in my left eye. It's to the left of the iris. It starts about 1mm to the left of the iris at the centerline, and angles back towards the iris and almost touches it about 2/3 of the way towards the bottom of the iris. So it's maybe 3 mm in length. When it was noticed was a couple days after I developed a chest cold and began coughing some. Since then, I noticed some slight pressure or aching in the eye, and that worses if I cough. I have a doctors appt schedule for next Tue. Any thoughts about what it could be? My eyes have felt kind of dry lately, causing me to rub them some, but otherwise haven't had any eye issues.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

It sounds like you have a subconjunctival hemorrhage.

Dr. Rick :

In the vast majority of cases, sub conjunctival hemorrhage is nothing to worry about. It is usually not a sign of any serious condition but rather is just a small broken blood vessel in the conjunctiva that looks much worse than it really is.

No treatment is necessary. Think of a subconjunctival hemorrhage as a bruise. The reason it looks so red (some people say it looks like a piece of raw meat) is that the skin on your eye is very thin so the underlying blood shows through easily. On your arm, for instance, a bruise looks blue/purple because the overlying skin is thick, blocking the red color of the blood.

Like a bruise elsewhere a subconjunctival hemorrhage will slowly go away over the course of a couple of weeks. It may spread around the globe some and change colors as it clears. This is nothing to be concerned about.

Dr. Rick :

It was most likely brought on by your coughing fits.

Customer:

Would some level of discomfort or slight thobbing go along with it, especially when coughing?

Dr. Rick :

You can use tear replacement drops, such as natural tears (there are a lot of brand names available) as often as you like to soothe your eye.

Dr. Rick :

Yes, it could.

Customer:

Okay, thanks. I need to see my doctor for a checkup anyway, just wanted to make sure this wasn't an obvious sign of a more urgent problem.

Dr. Rick :

Just as an aside, I am in Wisconsin. Where in India are you located?

Dr. Rick :

I think you will be fine.

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure. Let me know if I can do anything else to help.

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Customer:

I'm actually in SC. For some reason our company internet thinks we are in India. If I go to yahoo, it takes me to yahoo India.

Dr. Rick :

weird.....anyway, have a good day.

Customer:

thanks

Let me know if there are there any other concerns or issues you would like to discuss on this topic.