Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

insulin..My Ophthalmologist..lil damage in my eyes caused by diabete

I have diabeta with insuline for 19 years now. My Ophthalmologist told me about 8-9 year ago that there was some lil damage in my eyes caused by diabete. Then it was the same for a few years without evolution. The Ophthalmologist in the hospital have 2 years of waiting on his list to see him. So I went to an optometrist each years and my reg doctor was receiving the results that were showing no changement. In august, the optometrist told me that there were no significant changement but then I saw, at last, the ophthalmologist that told me there was a big change (negative one) and that I was needing a treatment named PRP (french abreviation, hoping its the same in english) (similar to laser) for 8 weeks.

Can you tell me what is this treatment please. I have no idea of what will be done to me and I want to know. I would like to know the secondary effects if there is some. Do you know other kind of therapy that I can get info about concerning this problem please.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

PRP stands for pan retinal photocoagulation. It is the standard of care for proliferative diabetic retinopathy, which it sounds like your optometrist has been, dutifully, watching slowly get worse and worse every year with no idea of what he was seeing.

Dr. Rick :

This is the best therapy you can get for this condition. The side effects, which can be loss of night vision, loss of light sensitivity, decreased peripheral vision, macular edema, bleeding, etc -- really -- are of no true concern since without PRP you have a high chance of loosing significant vision.

Dr. Rick :

It sounds like you are in good hands with the ophthalmologist who is treating you now. I recommend that from this point on you have all your eye care done by an MD.

Dr. Rick :

Here is an excellent article on your condition:

Dr. Rick :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diabetic_retinopathy

Dr. Rick :

Good evening. Welcome to chat.

Customer:

Ty!

Customer:

Let me read ur answer pls

Dr. Rick :

OK. Here is an article on PRP:

Dr. Rick :

http://www.eyelaserspecialists.com/index.cfm/procedures/panretinalphotocoagulation

Customer:

Tyvm

Customer:

I will be good with those websites

Customer:

Tyvm for ur time Dr. Rick

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure. Best of luck to you....

Customer:

Txs

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Let me know if there are there any other concerns or issues you would like to discuss on this topic.