Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

right eye..stinging burning sensation and the eye ball feels painful

Several occasions recently I have had a sudden increased burning in my right eye which progresses to a stinging burning sensation and the eye ball feels painful and also tender if I touch the eye lid (nothing on or underneath the lid). My eye somethimes then spontaneously start to warter. It's an uncomfortable and painful experience. A couple of occasions more recently, my vision has been effected, albeit bfiefly.

I work on computers all day for about 12 hours+ per day.

Is this anything to be concerned about? or is it linked to excessive vdu work?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Customer:

Hi

Customer:

I have been concerned about the severity of the pain I have felt and was particularly concerned last night with how my vision was affected.

Customer:

Last night's experience was a little different. I didn't have the watering....a less severe pain followed by a bluring of the eye as thought a film had covered it. My sight was severely affected. But this only lasted a short time.

Customer:

The burning and stinging sensation has been increasing ....but noticably evenings, which is why I am linking it possibly to the amount of time I spend in front of a vdu.

Dr. Rick :

Do you wear contactl lenses?

Customer:

no

Customer:

I had my eyes tested in the last 6 months and everything was normal ....eye health wise in general but I do now have my first pair of glasses for work.

Customer:

I don't need to use them all of the time

Dr. Rick :

Ok. Well I think yo have a combination of a common things going on. The first is dry eyes, second is allergies (it is that time of the year, even in the UK) and the third is blepharitis.

Customer:

I don't suffer with allergies

Dr. Rick :

It could be the other two then.....in any event the treatment is the same and here is some information:

Dr. Rick :

When it comes to allergies it is almost impossible to pin down the offending agent(s) and, therefore, treatment needs to focus on controlling the symptoms. Dry eyes are very common and can be improved by a stepwise series of therapies. First, the use of natural tears 4-6+ times/day to augment your natural tear production, if this doesn’t work then you can try temporary punctal occlusion of the lower puncta, then, if needed, temporary occlusion of all 4 puncta then, if indicated, surgical ( non-reversible) closure of the puncta. The openings to your tear drainage system are called puncta and you have one opening on each lid, near your nose.

Blepharitis is a condition where glands in the eyelids are not functioning normally. They become plugged and instead of putting out their normal clear, oily secretions, they put out thick, toothpaste like gunk. You may not be able to see this “gunk” yourself, unless it is really bad, but it shows up clearly on slit lamp examination.

The best treatment for this condition daily lid scrubs combined with warm compresses. I like to use baby shampoo for lid scrubs. In the shower, place the shampoo on your index fingers, close your eyes, raise your eyebrows (to stretch the skin on your eyelids) and scrub back and forth along your eyelashes for 3 to 5 minutes. The hot water in the shower helps to soften the plugged oils in the glands while the mechanical scrubbing with your soapy fingers removes the oils.

Baby shampoo lid scrubs will also help to wash away allergens and stimulate tear production, thereby addressing all three of your issues. Remember, this is not an instant fix. While you are waiting for the lid scrubs to have affect you can use over the counter allergy pills such as Travist, dimetapp or Zyrtec.

Should your symptoms get worse, your vision become significantly affected or things just not get better in 3 weeks or so you should have a complete eye examination by your local ophthalmologist to look for other, less common, causes of your symptoms.

Dr. Rick :

I think the lid scrubs, warm compresses and use of tear replacement drops will go a long way toward making you feel better.....even if you are lucky enough not to suffer with allergies like I do lol!

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Customer:

ok thanks. It was a bit frightening when my sight was affected last night. Have never experienced anything quite like it before.

Customer:

thanks for the advice.

Dr. Rick :

I can understand that! I think in the long run you will be ok though. Take care.

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
Let me know if there are there any other concerns or issues you would like to discuss on this topic.
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest