Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

what is pigmentation in the eye at the back

Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

The normal pigment layer in the retina is called the retinal pigment epithelium (RPE)

Dr. Rick :

That being said, it is my opinion that an optician does not have sufficient training to know what is normal or abnormal when it comes to pigmentary changes in the back of the eye.

Customer:

is it serious to have pigmentation in the back of the eye

Dr. Rick :

I am a retina specialist so, yes, there are a lot of pigmentary changes in the back of the eye and I see them all the time. That being said, there are a lot more pigementary changes that are no big deal.....and an optician wouldn't know the difference between the two if they reached up and bit him.

Dr. Rick :

What should you do? First. Do not panic.

Dr. Rick :

Second. Get a referral to see an ophthalmologist (eye MD) so you can learn what is really going on.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Customer:

yes thank you she wants to see me on saturday wants to dialate the pupil and then take pictures to see whats going on,she thinks it could be bleeding but not sure, i also sometimes have burning in that eye,the right eye. sometimes i keep on blinking

Dr. Rick :

The chances of you having one of the serious pigmentary changes in your eye, without any other visual or ocular findings, at your age, is pretty small.....but I'd still have an ophthalmologist take a look at you.

Dr. Rick :

Do you have diabetes or any other illness? Any eye trauma? Is your vision affected?

Dr. Rick :

burning and blinking would not be related to pigmentary changes.

Customer:

no my vision is not affected i dont have any illnesses, but i did have open heart surgery, when i was five days old transposition of the great pulmonary arteries, i also suffer from polycystic ovaries and have very,heavy periods not regular but every three months.

Dr. Rick :

Glad you have done so well since your surgery for a very complex vascular issue.

Dr. Rick :

I think you should save your time and money and cancel plans to have the optician take pictures of the back of your eye. It sounds like she won't know what she is looking at in the pictures anyway. Get a referral and see an ophthalmologist in the near future and, I bet, everything will be OK.

Customer:

thank you doctor for your advice and time, i feel a bit relaxed now thank you once again

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure. Have a great day.

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Customer:

bye take care.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.
Let me know if there are there any other concerns or issues you would like to discuss on this topic.