Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

dry eyes..Would like to go back to wearing eyeglasses..eye exam

I have worn eyeglasses since elementary school (nearsighted); then hard contacts - gas perm for 35 years; am now 51, having issues with light-sensitivity, sometimes dry eyes. Would like to go back to wearing eyeglasses - want to know how long I have to go without my contacts, in order to get an accurate - valid - eye exam! Have as yet to get the same answer from any of the locals!! Thank you!

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

That is a very good question.....with lots of possible answers :o)

Dr. Rick :

It all depends upon how much, if any, corneal warping you have experienced from your RGP contacts. What is the best way to figure out if you have any corneal warpage?

Dr. Rick :

Well, take out your contacts. Have your eye doctor do corneal topography on you. This will tell you how much and in what direction your astigmatism is in (along with a lot of other good information). Stay out of your contacts for a week or so. Repeat topography.

Dr. Rick :

Continue to repeat corneal topography until the readings are stable. You are now ready to get an excellent pair of glasses that will not change two weeks after you shell out $500 for them.....

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick :

I see that you are offline. We can use the Q&A system to 'text message' each other. An email will be sent to each of us every time something is posted to this thread.

Let me know if there are there any other concerns or issues you would like to discuss on this topic.